Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why is Necro'ing bad?
Snowhawk Offline
Failsassin

Why is Necro'ing bad?

I asked this question on another site with even more ridiculous rules about Necro'ing posts than here. (Seeing as here its just frowned upon by GMs)

Why is it so bad? If the topic is relevant why is it bad to bring it back into play? We already have to search to see if the topic was brought up, (most people don't but are always linked by older people when same topics arise) and have to make new posts repeating everything that was in the original topics just to start the same discussion over.

If the post is already there and there is a general interest in it why is it looked down upon by GMs? And since it is why don't the GMs Archive anything that hasn't been touched by anyone in over a Month? All you say is don't revive possibly relevant topics that could be in the best interest or at least interesting for various players. Seems like a pointless endeavorer and a lazy way for the GMs to tell us to just shut up.

(Rule on the other site is litterally. Post in any topic that is over a month abandoned (No new posts) and your account gets a 3 day suspension and the topic gets locked to prevent other people from posting. Unless a topic is locked you cannot start a similar topic, it must be discussed in that thread. Any similar ones are merged into the older ones and your account receives a strike against it for breaking the rules and all the new posts must be made in the merged thread (even if the original is a month dead))

This actually seems to happen on a lot of various forums. I run one and we revive topics that have been dead for an entire year if they were not closed by Administration simply cause its easier to restart than having to repeat everything over and over again.

Jaque::Sinx
Jaque-kun::Alchemist
Disciple Jaque::Acolyte
~Snow~::Wizard
05-27-2011 01:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shikari Offline
Br?

RE: Why is Necro'ing bad?

Should be the first one to get that rule applied, been getting ressed for 3 years http://pandoraonline.net/forum/showthrea...391&page=1

[Image: 2wnxvtw.png]

Proud Member of Desolation of Eden
05-27-2011 01:08 AM
Snowhawk Offline
Failsassin

humpity bumpity

Jaque::Sinx
Jaque-kun::Alchemist
Disciple Jaque::Acolyte
~Snow~::Wizard
05-31-2011 01:13 PM
Shikari Offline
Br?

/castsnecro*

05-31-2011 01:51 PM
Kittie Offline
Cheshire Cat

Well personally i don't see a 'big' problem with nerco-ing, as a forum junkie i read pretty much every new post (even went through the archives partly :D) unless i'm to tired to go through them all. Anything that has useful information isn't to bad bumping/nerco'ing over. However, i could understand that its a bit pointless to necro a buy/sell/trade/auction thread if hasn't been active for a few months/years Ok

Time zone GTM+1

Kittie- 99/70 Brewer Creator
Do a Little Dance 99/70 WoE Gypsy

[Image: nz0mqx.jpg]
05-31-2011 02:36 PM
Shikari Offline
Br?

^ Or dead guilds. But yea ):

05-31-2011 02:45 PM
Kittie Offline
Cheshire Cat

Oh yeah forgot that one xD

Time zone GTM+1

05-31-2011 03:00 PM
Former-GM-Circe Offline
Thank you, all. <3

Simply because most necros aren't for useful posts, as you claim.
Posts like "lol" or "haha" don't really need to be posted if it makes you necro. Just enjoy the thread yourself and move on. If you want a friend to see, link them externally.

Archiving everything older than a month makes finding things for those who just need to read it exceptionally difficult.
Imagine trying to find help threads to read because you're experiencing a problem when you have to search through everything in the archives.

On that note, if you need help or have a problem, it is honestly better to make a new thread and mention what you've tried thus far, or even just link to the old threads in a new thread (if you've actually done anything in any of those threads), simply due to the fact that RO constantly updates and changes, and more importantly, the change from Sakray to Ragray makes said threads outdated, and often useless.
This makes it easier for people to help, find your post, know exactly what's up, rather than necro a thread with "it not work for me to".

Another example of this irrelevance of older topics shows in the recent necro of the loading screens thread. It's in the Archives, and it's outdated by several years (hence its place in said Archives).
Even that sort of thing can simply be looked at. It doesn't need posts everywhere, even if it were up to date and relevant.

And that's the main point. Most necros are not constructive in the slightest.

Gone! Thanks for the memories.
<333

05-31-2011 10:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kittie Offline
Cheshire Cat

Well the only topics i'd find usefull enough to necro/bump would be a few of namine's guides tbh xD. But i do get your point Circe Ok

Time zone GTM+1

06-01-2011 01:48 AM
xKonada Offline

Archive worthy threads instead of the whiny junk people post here every day. That should make it more concise and also easier to find.

Flash- 9x/50 Hunter
SilentCash 6x/2x BlackSmith
SlipStream~ 6x/3x Rogue
06-21-2011 12:19 AM