Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Something I've always been wondering (account bans)
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

RE: Something I've always been wondering (account bans)

well there's still the issue of "in case of appeal"...

my friend was suspected of botting and banned, however in the process of his appeal, apparently he was talking in guild chat so nothing came up when the GM was bot-checking him... he was subsequently un-banned. Good thing he wasn't deleted...

perhaps deleting accounts would save a bit of space, but perhaps they should only be done sparingly and for those cases where the ban has not been appealed (or appeal was denied) after 3 months or more from the initial ban point...

-w-
07-22-2009 10:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Whispers Offline
from the Abyss

I like the appeal instance clause, but what about years-old accounts???If someone wants to use the name Gambit (let's say you're making an X-mean guild, I dunno) they can't because there was a guy on here under the name who exploited a leveling scheme involving the training grounds and was consequently perma-banned.

The same applies for a load of names from the list that are good names; Buddha, Chewbacca, HealingMist, Watcher, Nova, Shadow, Domingo, Super Nova, Sakura, Zelda, Linda, Tifa, Antonio, etc. etc. etc..??The list goes on forever with very good names that no one can use now because someone was too lazy to level and/or lacked the foresight to see their actions as ignoble.

All of these were banned in early April of 2006.??I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations on appeals is far beyond expired.??=p

If you're wondering what incident I'm writing of, see here.??No1

[Image: K2CmgOR.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2009 11:35 PM by Whispers.)
07-22-2009 11:32 PM
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

i understand your concern, however "good" is subjective, and as you have probably seen in-game, those who want to name their chars Tifa could make it Tiffa.

"Shadow" can easily become "Shadow " or "Shadow 14feb" xP

and there's always ~Sakura~ or ~~Sakura~~

the list of possible derivatives are endless... Laugh

-w-
07-23-2009 02:28 AM
Sukeishima Away
Touched by His Noodly Appendage

But derivatives are fail and annoying, especially when you're trying to remember someone's name to PM them but you can't remember which random useless symbol goes where.

It would be nice for the names to be freed up, but I don't think any of us wants to risk the server going asplody because the GMs were deleting banned accounts/chars just to free names up.

[Image: ROsiggy.png]
[Sukei - 9x Grimmy Assassin] Guildleader of Divine Nocturne <3
[Kalmia - 8x FS High Priestess] KoL's Sweet Potato <3
Click here to see which chars are mine!
07-23-2009 04:43 AM
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

although i agree with you, i'd still say that those hard-pressed for new chars will undoubtedly come up with good names all the same...

and what's in a name anyway?
wouldn't a player with win still smell of win by any other name?

-w-
07-23-2009 05:08 AM
Whispers Offline
from the Abyss

I coulda swore I responded to this earlier.??Thinking??Maybe I acidentally hit preview and closed it out believing I'd posted.??[Image: Oops.gif]

Anywho, it was along the lines of what Sukei said.??I'm not a big fan of names which include arbitrary numbers and unavailing punctuation.??Especially if it is not needed.

It's really not a big deal to me.??I joined long enough ago that my preferred names were not yet taken.??All my new characters are generated new names upon creation.??Such as Ryujin and Intrevynous Clovenshield, the brothers.??Ryujin is my pistol gunner.??Intrevynous is my failed attempt at a swordie class.??I never really liked swordie.??D:??Maybe I could have him be my grenadier.??Lee Scoresby is my rifleman.??Ok

Anyway!

Is there really a risk of the server imploding on itself leading to a black hole which then swallows the entire solar system driving us all to an alternate dimension at the event horizon???That'd be awesome. I'd sacrifice HeRO for a little interdimensional exploration. Laugh

In any case, the rule's been in effect for a while; I guess I just like arguing.??xp

A player with win only smells like win with a win name. I think Roy Rogers said that. Laugh

[Image: K2CmgOR.png]
07-23-2009 05:19 AM
Ellie Offline
Bittersweet

But look at the names that would be freed up.
Ikk.

Inasad
stop doing dickers
07-23-2009 12:59 PM
BlueAlchemy Offline

Maybe account deletion could be used for the most serious crimes, like for this guy I found on the ban list,

GM Aki Wrote:Who: ...:Kenji:... + related accounts
How Long: Permanent
What he/she did: Escaping mute, spamming main, annoying the players, deliberate breaking of the rules...

I dunno if deletion should be used for botting offenses if GM's on any server decide to bring it back, since innocent people could get charged on occasion.

Characters:
Zraxus (main) Creator
Brave Sir Robin    Bard
Inigo   Crusader
VixPaladin  (for gods sake I'm a priest not a paladin)
Check out my store!
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2009 01:41 AM by BlueAlchemy.)
07-24-2009 01:41 AM
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

ill discuss with the other gms the possibility of perhaps obtaining a name from a banned player once in a while, but it wouldnt be a permanent thing, most likely a fairy auction once in a while deal.

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
07-24-2009 12:52 PM