Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Further draw distance
OrangeXP Offline

RE: Further draw distance

I haven't seen anything wrong with the 'draw distance' and haven't noticed any real difference between other servers I've played on. Official RO only looks like it has a wider draw because the zoom is so horrible.

Increasing the draw distance is always an advantage for players. Hunters can already kill a monster like a Kasa on your average server before it gets close enough to use skills, just because of the DS range. Extra range means more free ranged shots against most monsters. I can't think of what NPCs are exploitable by being able to click them from farther away though. Also, think about what that means about ranged characters vs. non-ranged characters in WoE (assuming that WoE is a big enough thing here). Double Strafe and Falcon Assault have some of the largest ranges of attack in the game because of the way bows and Vulture's Eye work on ranged skills.

There would probably be a small increase on bandwidth used by the server, but I'm uncertain what effect that would have.

If convenience is acceptable, I may as well suggest adding a faster refiner for weapons/armor/ori/elu/etc.
08-29-2009 09:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Legendary Joe Offline
Raging Alt-a-holic

I've been able to pan out hero's screen so far that this black thing comes off from the corners until it envelopes everything ina pitch black thing, you can still see chats and vends from that far away, but everything else isn't even visible =x
08-29-2009 10:34 PM
OrangeXP Offline

When drawing in 3D, you tell your 'camera' that's viewing a scene to have a close end cutoff and a far end cutoff for objects so you don't put stuff that wouldn't be useful to see. Since extra zoom is hacked in, you can see where they put the far cutoff distance. Chats and vends are 'painted' on top of the 3D picture, so they aren't part of the 3D objects being drawn.

So it's not a black thing coming/rising off the corners, it's the 3D objects sinking below the far point of view that's programmed in the client.
08-29-2009 11:09 PM
Fyrus Carmin Offline
The aura is with me !

I fully support this idea, but for another reason :

FINALLY seeing when a Mage/Wizard/Sage/{Insert something here} is casting or attacking a Monster.

[Image: sansre5m.png]
[Image: sansre3o.png]
Quote:Note that any GM activity including monster summoning and mass carnage of players can be considered trolling (however, this can be disguised as an "event")
08-30-2009 02:39 PM
Naruhodo Offline
Ace Attorney

I agree with Fyrus; I accidentally almosed KSed an orc archer because I couldn't see that a hunter was shooting it off-screen D:

If it affects the bandwith and creates a lot of lag, it shouldn't be done. I bet this could be tried out on the test server :D

And if it makes ranged people stronger in WoE and PvP, maybe the draw distance should be set to normal in PvP arenas and castles.

Otherwise, it'd be great! Imagine how much more fun the Maneater novice event would be if we could see the novices in whole arena xD

[Image: tumblr_ox8eztGfqD1rtqyteo1_400.jpg]

I'm back?
Naruhodo, 99/70 Champ
Naruhodo Ryuuichi, 99/70 Whitesmith
Edgeworth, Sniper
Lawrence Moe Curls, Bard
Father Totoro, Priest
08-30-2009 04:18 PM
Motenai_Ronin Offline
Lord Jugger

Could the draw distance have to do with the fact that ranged characters can't shoot from ledges and cliffs? (Or little steps in some cases)

~Wesa got a grand army!~ || ~Phreeoni's Cave of Wonders~
[Image: geonosisbanner.jpg][Image: phreenoni.png]  
Jugger (LK) Jester (Hunter) Beast (Taekwon) War Machine (BlackSmith) Iron Man (Merchant)
08-30-2009 04:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
elehifi Offline

Glad to see some people also agree with this. And this shouldn't be something that increases bandwidth all the much. I couldn't see why it would. But as Motenai said, the ledge thing. That was one of the perks of being a hunter/sniper in the reg RO server. Having the ability to hit something off over a ledge was a huge bonus that many people did. It was part of the game.

I just mobbed one mi gao and put it behind a firewall and cast my meteor shower. BUT I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS A GUY AHEAD OF ME MOBBING A MIGAO! AND I SMOKED IT D;!

I felt bad.
08-30-2009 05:23 PM
Fyrus Carmin Offline
The aura is with me !

RE:??Further draw distance

Motenai_Ronin Wrote:Could the draw distance have to do with the fact that ranged characters can't shoot from ledges and cliffs? (Or little steps in some cases)

As far as I remember, it's only affected by the size of the cliff itself. I do belive (though I never really messed up with maps) that the size of a cliff is rendered in some kinds of "cells" the best example I can take is the Shout Tower in Louyang fields.

[Image: sansre5m.png]
[Image: sansre3o.png]
Quote:Note that any GM activity including monster summoning and mass carnage of players can be considered trolling (however, this can be disguised as an "event")
08-31-2009 02:36 AM
Loveless Offline
Beautifully Broken

What does GM's have to say about this? It's not a bad idea.

[Image: lovelesssig02vx1.png]
08-31-2009 03:29 AM
Neuneck Offline
Back on the road!

I doubt it'll do good. The results are unimaginable. There MIGHT be an exploit of the increased draw distance, that we just didn't think of, and there sure are people that'd use any exploit they know of. It's a too basic part of the game system to be fiddeled around with. Assume the monster's sight isn't just 5 or 12 cells but rather the whole or half the draw distance. An increased draw distance could mean you can not sneak past bosses in certain areas anymore...

Mr Moe - 99/69 SinX
Mr Satch - 9x/6x Clown
Mr Power - Xx/Xx Whitesmith
Mr Strafe - 9x/50 Hunter - Coffee Break
Mr Heal - 9x/50 Priest
08-31-2009 07:20 AM