Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Upgrade Server?
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

Upgrade Server?

Hi everyone!
Well I know we had a server move recently to help reduce lag, but I feel it hasn't removed it for some players still. I decided to check the specs and read that these are our current server specs listed on our heRO homepage.

* Intel Duo-Core 2 E8400 3 Ghz FSB 1333 Mhz 6 MB cache
* 4 GB of memory DDRII PC 6400

I looked up some information and talked it over with some people, and they all pretty much nodded their head we're due for an upgrade to server.

My boyfriend said 6GB Ram is now standard for a server to run on, and on top of that I decided to see how old our processor was (for you who don't know what that is its our Intel Duo-Core 2) and find it is just now over 5 years old. An upgrade to a quad core could help in the long run with performance for our server.

Granted I know my net is not the best but several others still experience lag on the server, some with much stronger connections than I have, and that is why I felt compelled to suggest this. Using some of the donation money for the actual server would be really nice to have at this point.

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
07-13-2010 04:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kari Nogashi Offline
Forum Dweller

RE: Upgrade Server?

+1
07-13-2010 04:03 PM
Rankin Offline
Durp

Not to mention the CPU is 4 years old: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Processor-13...B00116SLYY

Thing about upgrading ram and cpu is other things might need to be upgraded, like the motherboard...but i fully agree with aaronock.
07-13-2010 04:03 PM
Zaratus Away
Bastard

I approve <3

No, seriously, despite my ping being constant I lag ingame =[

Ayantis 99/70 High Priest
Draven 99/70 Sniper
Mordred 99/70 Whitesmith
Yuugi Hoshiguma 99/70 Champ

Shop closed due to HeRO being uninstalled.
Feel free to ask me for MSN or stuff.
07-13-2010 04:10 PM
GT-Hiro Offline
Shadow Drifter

Upgrading the RAM is fairly easy, but it'd require downtime for the server, but I'm sure people would understand that.

Upgrading the processor may not be so easy though as there are many factors that go into that. First off would be the socket type, this means how the pins are aligned on the processor itself. Second, the motherboard socket would have to be compatible, which between duo and quad, there were different socket versions between them all. Third would be heat build-up, so that means there would have to be a new heat sync involved and the thermal compound that is used between it (although the thermal compound is fairly cheap, $10 USD for Arctic Silver). Then you gotta make sure that the driver software on the OS is compatible with the new processor.

But if it is all good, compatible, and runs properly, then it wouldn't hurt, but then again, it all falls back to if the ISP can handle the traffic. I don't lag and when I do, its because of the bandwidth I have to share...

GT-BlackHiro, GT-WhiteHiro, GT-ShadowHiro, GT-Destiny

Quote:A Lost Soul drifting though the voids of Eternal
Darkness
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2010 04:36 PM by GT-Hiro.)
07-13-2010 04:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TPC Offline
I like pie

On the other hand ro is an old game and thus lower on requirements hardware wise, same goes for the server. And I recall pandora saying in a thread a while ago that the current server can easily handle a population several times larger than the current one. So wouldn't it just be a waste of money?

I don't experience any lag currently, and haven't seen anyone complain about it in a while, so that makes me think that the ones who still have it have it for some other reason, and not because of the server (could be their isp, their computer, etc.).

My chars: TPC / Tjuven / Dansare / Sinne / Magiker / Byracka / Krigare / Andreas
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2010 04:25 PM by TPC.)
07-13-2010 04:24 PM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

I play Dungeon Fighter Online (similar requirements to RO maybe a bit less) and I NEVER LAG at all when playing that game even during the afternoon hours.

I have lagged even at my mom's computer who has better specs than this computer. I run on different internets, I use to not lag also when playing Neo Steam, another game with heavier requirements even.

I download, surf the net, and several other things JUST FINE, but I get on heRO and all I experience is lag, how can it not be the server at that point?

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
07-13-2010 04:30 PM
Sakurato Away
Full Support Copycat

I don't lag D:

Kohana|Sinx
Euphorie|Champ
Sonatina|Gypsy
Sakurato|High Priest
Nozomi|Whitesmith
Sakura|Professor
Frejya|Sniper
Ayami|Creator
Anei|Stalker
Fumiko|High Wizard
07-13-2010 04:32 PM
Matrim Cauthon Jr Offline
Bipolarsexual

Some people just lag more on Hero than others seems to be.
07-13-2010 07:52 PM
Kari Nogashi Offline
Forum Dweller

i blame lagg fairys. their cute but deadly.
07-13-2010 09:07 PM