Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Math Help
Scaregasm Offline
What're you starin' at?

RE: Math Help

I have a friend who is taking a Sociology class at one of the colleges around here.??Its one of those classes where the professor is only so much certified in the field and she feels she must put her own opinionated twist onto the subject.??So every night he has to watch a handful of short videos dealing with different tenants of human life.??At least three times a week a video deals with homosexuals raising children (which we affectionately call "FWK").??Arbitrary?

He then has to write a synopsis of each video and answer three to five open-ended questions put to him by the professor in less than a page and a half (12p font, double spaced, with header.??But he gets to choose the font!).

He's not exactly the best orator, but he can put his mental processes to words better than some.??yet when asked what he has so far gained from the class he is speechless.??lol

Namine, in no way is assuming everything to be difficult a wise approach to any aspect of life.??Extremes are best to be avoided.??Whether it be everything is easy or everything is hard, they are opposing extremes with complete ignorance and lack of expectations in the exact center.??With this ignorance to the facility of the desired function and disregard for one's expectations we can then do our best to at least try and not be upset with failure or pleased with success (whatever the outcome may be).

Holding in our minds that others do not neccesarily know what we know (nor to whatever degree) just the same as we do not per se know what others know (nor to whatever degree) is perfectly healthy (for us and the world).??How many times have you seen someones face change to incredualty when they find the other person doesn't know what they are talkign about ("omg, you didnt know Kanye had a new album?!")???I for one feel kind of offended when someone puts on this mask because I didn't know this or that happened some time ago in a place I've never been.
The chances are high that we don't know everything in the universe, so why do people act so surprised when another doesn't know one nugget of often useless information?
And in proper etiquette one speaks of attained knowledge as though the listeners in the party know of what they mention.??If they do not know it is polite to give a brief rundown as far as what pertains to the subject in question.??We don't become flabbergasted because we don't see that 70 twice is 140 which is 70 more than its half nor do we scorn those who do not.

Balance, centricity, Tao, equanimity, the middle way.??Whatever you want to call it, whatever philosophical or religious tenants you wish to apply to it-it works.

What do I know though???I scare people for a living.??Laugh

See you in your dreams...
10-26-2010 03:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

yes, but...
http://www.economist.com/node/17248892?s...d=17248892

-w-
10-27-2010 10:05 PM
Namine Offline
Explorer of Wonderland

Quoting from the comments in your own link:

Is this a question of making the material more difficult to read or making each word and sentence more memorable? With "easy to read" fonts the words and characters can be more easily confused. Given a more distinct font, some of the symmetry of the appearance of words and letters may be removed. The ease with which one can recognize and pronounce a word or syllable may not be directly correlated to the ability to remember the information presented...is this suprising?

~ Pyo! (Linker) ~ Pyuu (Sniper) ~ Namine (FS HP) ~ Cessini (Stalker) ~ Meteor Storm (ME HP) ~
10-27-2010 11:20 PM
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

iknorite?

i mean if the question posed was simple, we wouldn't have gotten 2-3 pages of worthwhile discussion on the issue and an extra 1-2 pages about education in general Ok

-w-
10-28-2010 02:37 AM