Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New comp + RO = lag?
Namine Offline
Explorer of Wonderland

New comp + RO = lag?

So I am having a very difficult time playing due to highly consistent lag issue and it's not the server that's causing the lag... I'm having lag that freeze my screen for 1-3 seconds on a very, very consistent basis (say every 30 sec roughly). It happens across all characters/accounts, on all maps even if I'm the only person hiding in the map, regardless of what visible gears or palettes I'm using... During lag, my screen freezes up completely, but i can hear the sound of what's happening perfectly fine.

It's not my network because my old computer used this same router, and it did not lag at all. On my current computer, I can run any other online games, and even the reasonably graphic intensive starcraft 2 and I don't lag on any of those games. My downloads and torrents are perfectly fine. It's just RO that lags.

I believe that it's something related to my computer of some sort with the RO client. I read some tech support in irowiki forums, and doddler got a very similar problem, and he also started a thread on it there XD So it's probably not heRO (otherwise, iRO shouldn't have similar problem), but something with the RO client and newer computer components having some hate for each other.

Link to iRO version of same problem: click here

I contacted GMs before and carried out a few suggestions and the problem remains. So anyone got ideas?

Computer Specs:
Intel Core i7 processor 720QM (1.6GHz, 6MB L3 cache)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
8 GB memory (usually uses around 20% only)
Window 7 64bit
Wireless net, but my laptop is the only computer connected via wireless so it shouldn't be IP issue with another computer in the house.

What I/Gms tried:
-already running as administrator
-window XP compatibility mode
-change resolution to something that's lower
-change setting in Setup from Direct3D HAL to one of the selections of my graphic card name (for some reason, the dropdown box shows my graphic card 4 times. Some of them if I select them, I get a complete black screen. I selected the 2nd one right now, and it shows the screen fine.)
-running with only 1 processor for heRO
-closed all other application during heRO as much as possible
-opened port 6900-6902 already (ports that heRO uses)
-closed firewall, antivirus
-turn off RO sound in setup
-used /camera or turning that off, as suggested by iROwiki forum
-updated drivers for my graphic card, got the CCC thing from ATI site
-I do shut down my laptop at night. I don't leave it on entire day. I tried to open heRO the first thing in the morning and it still lags. So I ruled out the possibility of just overheating by coincidence whenever I start heRO.
-taking off all visible equipment
-updated Ragray, enough to see Dewata and Scaraba Nightmare mode graphics, jRO's naruto-rip off mounts and all those fun stuff
-turned off UAC already

What I didn't do/don't know how to do
-iRO thread mentioned bunch of tweaking of graphic card, as iRO seems to focus down on ATI series' graphic cards having some issue with RO client. Does anyone else uses the more recent ATI graphic cards and end up with similar problem or lag? I don't know half of whatever they are talking about in tweaking/fixing their graphic card, so I didn't try out what some iRO posters mentioned.

So, any suggestions/solutions?

If I missed out on anything or not providing enough info, just ask~

~ Pyo! (Linker) ~ Pyuu (Sniper) ~ Namine (FS HP) ~ Cessini (Stalker) ~ Meteor Storm (ME HP) ~
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2010 05:34 PM by Namine.)
10-24-2010 04:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
azurerogue Offline
One Dogma: THROW AD!

RE: New comp + RO = lag?

How new is the Catalyst Control Center you got? I had previously updated mine, then rolled back my system and forgot. RO lagged/crashed a lot until I re-updated my CCC - now I rarely lag or freeze up. Sorry I can't be more specific. I'm running an ATI Radeon 3850 HD. It really sounds like a CCC issue to me but I couldn't tell you how to improve it.

- Albus Dumbledore 99/70 Professor - Albus DumbIedore 92/59 Professor
- AIbus Dumbledore 93/50 Wizard - AIbus DumbIedore 1/1 Novice
- Astaroth 99/70 Creator - Dawkins 99/70 Creator
- Exemplar 98/69 Paladin - Equitas 80/47 Paladin
- Mephistopheles 95/65 Lord Knight - Shogo Kawada 97/67 Stalker
10-24-2010 08:13 PM
Namine Offline
Explorer of Wonderland

Using the download for Oct 10 mobility vista win7 64 dd_ccc download from ATI site. Soooo it should be most updated unless I clicke the wrong CCC to download o_O; but I'll try to uninstall CCC and do it again tomorrow.

EDIT: Ok got more time tonight than i thought and tried it now. Let's see if it still lags or not.

~ Pyo! (Linker) ~ Pyuu (Sniper) ~ Namine (FS HP) ~ Cessini (Stalker) ~ Meteor Storm (ME HP) ~
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2010 09:56 PM by Namine.)
10-24-2010 09:04 PM
SkyStormKuja Offline
The Great Muffin

For interest, I was having problems with the newer drivers on my fairly new ATI card, and was forced to reinstall older drivers to prevent screen freezes on various games.

Also, if you can hear the sound of things happening, there is a very good chance that it is not network-based, and rather graphics problems. Or something in the background is slowing down the computer, however, if this only happens on the heRO client, then it is probably related to the graphics card or other drivers.

PS I checked, I use a Radeon 5450, and my CCC is version 39050, and I do not have any freeze problems with the client.

[Image: f44qqu.png]
~Anima~ 7x/3x - Champion
Nathaniel Hawkins 9x/6x - Stalker
Sora Sacrificulous 9x/6x - High Priest
SniperAngel 9x/6x - Sniper
10-25-2010 12:45 AM
Namine Offline
Explorer of Wonderland

Went over the CCC options tweaking with a friend, changing the AA, AAM and all those stuff and since it's only freeze yet I don't see my line flicker or whatever like doddler does, I zoned it down to actually being my ISP potentially... going to leave task manager up to check the networking page when I play this weekend to see if there's any correlations there.

10-29-2010 03:57 AM