Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mining Hat
Rankin Offline
Durp

Mining Hat

Are there any plans to change it? The hat itself only decreases the amount of picks that break, and has nothing to do with the item. The hat itself is a bitch to make due to the orichalcum refining and such.

Considering the Fishing Hat is easy to make and actually lets you get better items more often, you'd think that Miner's Hat would be badass.

Suggestion: Make the Miner's Hat actually do more than barely make picks break less, or make the Miner's Hat easy as crap to make, it's not worth all the work required to be put in.
11-25-2010 08:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Matrim Cauthon Jr Offline
Bipolarsexual

RE: Mining Hat

I agree with those suggestions.
11-25-2010 09:42 AM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

Make it have knocker card effect /nod;

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
11-25-2010 10:33 AM
Weapon Offline
The Family Jewels

At the beginning of the year, TPC and I made the first mining hat. There were people mining for hours a day trying to get enough orichalcum ore to make the hat, and that went on for a couple of months. The horrifying revelation was that the hat made so little difference in mining outcomes, and having realized how much time was wasted in trying to get it, I rushed to the bathroom and threw up. At that point, people kinda stopped trying to make one.

Because it was the way I made my money at the time, I kept mining anyway and continued using it. There was a thread made on how TPC and I didn't notice much of a difference the hat was, but it was dismissed by a GM posting an explanation that there was a tiny calculation that """theeoooreeetiicallyyy""" made the picks break less often. In practice, un-noticable.

Linh still mined for money, so when I went on break I gave her the rest of the orichalcum I mined over the next few months and she made the second hat. Infrequently, if desperate for ore, I'll go down there and mine some more, but it deters from leveling and would rather combat-farm & purchase what I need directly since it's more cost effective. Either way--over time Linh, TPC, and I (along with some purchases I made from other players) pooled together the rest of our resources and as of last week I made (what I'm assuming is) the 3rd mining hat. That means the quest's been there for well over a year, and there's only 3 of these. If you compare it to the fishing hat and how easy it is to make one of those, the bonus is pretty lousy, since (if I remember correctly) the bonus was intended to do the same thing when you really don't get the same outcomes (Not-catching-a-fish vs your-pick-breaking, when the real loss in mining is the opportunity cost of getting a stone at least 75% of the time)

SUGGESTIONS:

- I wouldn't say that making it drop better stuff more often is what it needs... but what WOULD make it better is an huge increase in efficiency. You get a CRAPTON of stones mining--a RIDICULOUS crapton of stones, and everyone throws them away since all they do is take up space. If you want to empower the hat, severely reduce the number of stones that you get while mining. That way instead of taking an hour to go through your picks, it'll take maybe half as long to get the same outcome. Less time wasted and less carpal tunnel, which would make ANY miner happy.

- A 3rd mining spot, where having a mining hat is a prerequisite to mine there. Better drops, less garbage, hat-tastic people only, high-end-awesome. THIS IS AN EXTREMELY BIASED SUGGESTION 8D

- Making orichalcum easier to come by so that there'll be more mining hats to justify the current bonus. Every time I go to the advanced fishing spot, I usually get at least 1 fish bottle, sometimes 2 or 3; which is why most fishers have fishing hats. For orichalcum, you generally get a rough ore every 5 complete runs (I bring 240 picks), and that's if you're lucky. This might not be ideal since the GM's declared orichalcum a god item earlier this year (So maybe they should undeclare it if they do this.) On a related note, nix the 'fail' rate on making a pure orichalcum.

- I *hate* that miner-quiz NPC at the advanced mining spot. You don't have to put up with that crap while fishing, why do you have to put up with it there? (In fact, when you fish, you'll often get free baits rewards passively with no quizzing involved.) It makes mining require that you pay full attention from start to finish, when I'd rather keep clicking and turn my head to watch TV to help pass the time. You get a free pick when you answer his quiz correctly, but often that just gives you MORE STONES before breaking. He should probably just reward you with something nice, or at least whichever item was the correct answer (i.e., if 'flame heart' was the right response, give the player a flame heart. If the answer was something of lesser value like rough ori/rough elu/iron/coal/etc, give them a few of those.) Sure, this suggestion's unrelated to the hat itself, but GOD that guy's a pain >8T Plus, this would make him more of a yay-happy-congrats-for-paying-attention-bonus without removing him as a botchecker.

TL;DR
Bear in mind... mining itself is still a great way to get a variety of stuff, albeit tedious... the main argument is that the mining *hat* is too difficult to make for what it actually does in comparison to the fishing hat, so I suggest either making it better so it's WORTH the endless hours clickspamming the spot, or simply making the hat easier to create.

(edit)

...or something like Aaronock's post would be cool too--a chance of getting ores when killing monsters. Like the "Finding Ore" skill, only it wouldn't be so 'meh'.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2010 11:27 AM by Weapon.)
11-25-2010 10:45 AM
Seth~ Offline
Half-ling Assasin

I know this is off the topic, but why do my presence in the market spike prices, sorry + "me being sad".

Example: since I started buying garments hood [1] went above 50k, and most other low rate garments above 300k, and now elunium is also above 30k.

I should mine and make a hat, yes or no?

...and to anyone wondering I broke a few +8 garments and one +9. Thus no +10 yet.

most wanted buying list
http://pandoraonline.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=19956
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2010 12:34 PM by Seth~.)
11-25-2010 12:33 PM
Weapon Offline
The Family Jewels

Assuming that you're asking if you should do it because you want some elunium, I'd say do some mining to get some elu and other sellables, if you're lucky you might get about 10 elu in pures and roughs in an hour. If you're doing it to try to make a hat, you may finish sometime next year. The combined efforts of 2 people mining in excess made the first hat after several months.

Though if you have a way to farm Abyss Knights, that's probably a better way to get elus.
11-25-2010 03:26 PM
Kittie Offline
Cheshire Cat

all above are my reasons not to mine...
if i want elu's i'll hunt mobs, if i want ele stones i'll mob, if i want stones i'll use my rogue to pick up stones...

if i have to choose between fishing and mining to make zeny i DEFINITIVE pick fishing since:

1. drops seem stabler, even if you fish "crap" you can npc it for atleast a few zeny, stones however are 0 zeny npc'able (logic since rogue's have the skill to pick up stones infinite) + even if your bait is took without catching a fish this is ALOT lower then getting a stone with mining.. and i keep all the fish i fish for selling exept for everything lower then salmon.. i use those to lvl my noob chars with it.

2. The advanced fishing spot location is laughable compaired to the location of the advanced mining spot.. (i have to admit i haven't mined there myself yet since i dont have the 50 points needed for it yet but even with a decent lvl character its a sucking place to go to due teddies and waste stoves, not to mention the mvp)

me + my homun can handle the mobs in the advanced spot decently and looking at the distance from portal to fishingspot is more then walkable..
when i mine at the regular miningspot i flywing my way to the spot and usually first check out the mobs before i can sit down and mine.

If you compair the trouble you gotta do to get to the regular mining spot compaired to the regualr fishing spot (with only non argo mobs) i dont think its that weird i often am the only one who's mining at that moment while there is 9/10 times atleast 1 other person then you at the advanced fishing spot...

+ i've only heard rumors about that npc Weapon is tlaking about and think its lame.. why is that npc on the advanced mining spot and not on the advanced fishing spot? Mining seems ALOT harder then fishing especially with something like that D:

3. if i look at how much zeny i can make with fishing compaired to mining (this might not be my best argument since i have the max fishing points + fish hat versus 23 mining points) i definitive choose fishing, running down the mines and the trouble i gotta do to get there just doens't seem worth dying for.. but thats just me.

TL;DR
I like fishing, but mining just doesn't seem attractive enough to put my time into. To much trouble and stuff compaired to fishing, i dont think i'll continue to mine tbh.

Time zone GTM+1

Kittie- 99/70 Brewer Creator
Do a Little Dance 99/70 WoE Gypsy

[Image: nz0mqx.jpg]
11-26-2010 04:29 AM
azurerogue Offline
One Dogma: THROW AD!

The biggest advantage to mining, in my opinion, that most heRO players tend to overlook is the extremely easy-to-obtain level 4 weapon stones. On other server's you'd need to try to camp mini boss spawns for a long time (especially on a low rate) to try to have a chance to make a level 4 weapon. On heRO not only can you mine to get them, but because mining produces them they're almost always readily available at very low prices on the market.

- Albus Dumbledore 99/70 Professor - Albus DumbIedore 92/59 Professor
- AIbus Dumbledore 93/50 Wizard - AIbus DumbIedore 1/1 Novice
- Astaroth 99/70 Creator - Dawkins 99/70 Creator
- Exemplar 98/69 Paladin - Equitas 80/47 Paladin
- Mephistopheles 95/65 Lord Knight - Shogo Kawada 97/67 Stalker
11-26-2010 02:10 PM
Namine Offline
Explorer of Wonderland

@Albus: only reason to mining =D

... or reason to buy 30k lv 4 weapon stones from other people who mine =x

~ Pyo! (Linker) ~ Pyuu (Sniper) ~ Namine (FS HP) ~ Cessini (Stalker) ~ Meteor Storm (ME HP) ~
11-26-2010 02:54 PM
azurerogue Offline
One Dogma: THROW AD!

RE:??Mining Hat

Namine Wrote:... or reason to buy 30k lv 4 weapon stones from other people who mine =x

That's how I look at it :D

- Albus Dumbledore 99/70 Professor - Albus DumbIedore 92/59 Professor
- AIbus Dumbledore 93/50 Wizard - AIbus DumbIedore 1/1 Novice
- Astaroth 99/70 Creator - Dawkins 99/70 Creator
- Exemplar 98/69 Paladin - Equitas 80/47 Paladin
- Mephistopheles 95/65 Lord Knight - Shogo Kawada 97/67 Stalker
11-26-2010 05:41 PM