Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Make a rule about selling accounts.
Child of Bodom Offline
The Satelite

Make a rule about selling accounts.

I would like to suggest a rule either to make selling accounts illegal or a rule(s) to stop ppl from getting scammed. Maybe if someone sells an account to someone a GM has to be present, and the GM gets the payment and holds onto said payment until the Email is changed. idk all I know is half the accounts sold that ive seen have ended badly for the buyer of account.

Animal Path 99/70 Sniper
Asura Path 99/70 Champ
Deva Path 99/70 LK
Human Path 99/70 CLOWN
General Bo 96/67 WS /gg
Raine Sage 99/70 HP
My Name Is Phil 99/70
Jin Kazumi 98/69 LK
Boromir 83/59 Pally
I'm a Champ 93/50 Monk!
The Lionhawk 86/50 Wizard
Strip 76/48 Rogue

Im going to stand out above the crowd. Even if I got to
Shout out loud, Til mine is the only face that you'll see,
Im gonna stand out, til you notice me
06-29-2011 05:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Legendary Joe Offline
Raging Alt-a-holic

RE: Make a rule about selling accounts.

IMO, giving out passwords and usernames is never a good idea. Even if you pay cash or zenny or whatnot for it, you never know if that information is valid until you try it and it works.

I regard all sales of accounts as shady business and generally try to steer clear of this.

Almost all servers I have been on have stated/strongly advised that you are not to give your password/username to ANYONE. The fact that people are willing to pay time and money for those does not/should not change that statement.

Sure, it sucks balls for the people who get screwed in these deals, but you go into it not knowing whether these people are reliable or not, and someone doesn't keep their word and takes everything for themselves. Some people have had this happen to them on Multiple occaisions, and I think they really need to rethink their methods.
06-29-2011 06:10 PM
ABlueJelly Offline
Minitru Unapproved!

RE: Make a rule about selling accounts.

The people who let it hit them multiple times are the ones that worry me... Doctor, it hurts when I do this! *punches self in the crotch*

Anyways, it's shady, like Joe said. Half the time I expect the account salesmen to be some corrupt chinese goldfarmer that got lost when he selected what game to play.
Banning it outright is dumb- as Joe said, it's shady, and as I said at the beginning of this post: Doctor, it hurts when I do this! Imo, freedom to be stupid is a good freedom to have.

Also, really, this is one of those things that you have to think... How do I enforce this? heRO isn't the real world, and it's not the only thing on the internet. You can discuss transactions like this in private- in person, IM, facebook, etc. And without hindering other people's playing experience, you can't really tell if an email change or a password change was done by the original account holder or someone else. Selling to someone in a different time zone? Oh, my work schedule changed. Really, there's 9135837234 different excuses you could come up with to justify some change that would require evidence too personal to demand to confirm.

Actually, that's with a lot of stuff. Exchanging real goods for RO goods- you can't really tell if the person's being kind, generous, repaying a favor, or just giving stuff away.
Honestly, I'm pretty sure this rule's here just to cover their ass in case someone gets screwed doing it and decides to, in "good" American tradition, "Sue the bastards".

Anyways, when communication outside of the game is possible, things like this aren't really truly able to enforce outside of *within* the game. And as is... If you wanna risk it, you can risk it, why make the GMs dredge more logs for more stuff?

?(?????)
no IFs ANDs or XORs.
Incarn Wrote:[Jelly]'s not an idiot, he just likes to derp and actually make the derp work
"Don't crack, 'cause you might not make it back. And if you do, then you'll be alone, and ya can't live like that!"
"And they say that a Hero can save us, I'm not gonna stand here and wait..."

B> Regular, Scheduled Server Maintenance Resets
06-29-2011 11:04 PM