Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mining quest suggestion
~YIN~ Offline

Mining quest suggestion

After speaking to a few people, we have come to the conclusion that very few people on this server participate in mining.

We have come up with a way that could POSSIBLY make the quest more desirable for everyone. After a person reaches 100total mining points from answering questions at the advanced spot, the old miner does not particularly give any incentive to continue answering these questions except for a single (lame) pick.

Instead of only receiving a pick when answering questions we came up with the idea to acquire rare ores, gold, or possibly Rough/Pure Orichalum (which makes the hat) at intervals for answering the questions.

It may look something like this:

5 questions answered in a row = 1 gold
10 questions answered in a row = 1 random ore
20 questions answered in a row = 1 chosen ore
50 questions answered in a row = 1 Rough Orichalum (or pure if panda wants to be nice)

any other ideas??

~YIN~ - 99/70 HP
~YANG~ - 99/70 Champ
Tiny Sized - 99/70 HP
Plus Sized - 95/68 LK
Pocket Sized - 99/70 Prof
Pint Sized - 99/70 Sniper
Life Sized - 99/70 Sniper
Bite Sized - 99/70 HW
Over Sized - 99/70 HW
King Sized - 99/70 Clown
Super Sized - 99/70 Pally
Fun Sized - 99/70 Whitesmith
05-14-2012 09:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Legendary Joe Offline
Raging Alt-a-holic

RE: Mining quest suggestion

My main complaint with advanced mining has ALWAYS been the mobs on the map. teddies have annoyingly high flee, annoyingly high Hit and Hit hard, and the fact the spot is right in the middle of everything. I can't take as many picks with me if I want to mine and live as I can at the beginners spot, I gotta leave room for Healing items and actually have weight limit left to actually attack/buff up to run away, and even then, those limited supplies run out way too fast for my tastes.

If anyone goes down there to hunt for anything (teddy card, exp, crystal fragments) there's a rather large chance stuffs going to respawn on top of the miners.

I've been told time and time again to just lure stuff away, but it seems no matter how far away I lure something they always manage to meander back to the mining spot regardless.

I'd much prefer to move the mining spot from that spot in the center to one of the dead end mineshafts on the same floor, maybe the one in the top middle?
05-14-2012 09:42 PM
EvolutionXI Offline
Sniped

Yah, the mobs are a pain....I even sometimes mine with my SinX just so I don't have to worry about them (mine while cloaking).

I think if it were to be moved, a nice place would be near that npc on the bottom middle island....can have some company. Laugh
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2012 10:37 PM by EvolutionXI.)
05-14-2012 10:36 PM
Kittie Offline
Cheshire Cat

I don't have a lot of issue's myself with the monsters but thats because i mine on my creator and my vanil is pretty much monster-proof down there.

However i can understand that anyone who doesn't have a homun like mine or just mines on a different class could have large issue's going down their. Adv fishing spot compared to Adv. mining makes the Adv. fishing spot look like quite a laughter. The locations difference between those two isn't really fair either, while the Adv. fishing spot is walkable from the portal in a sign and a sneeze (and the monsters down there are a joke as well), the Adv. mining spot is in the middle of the map, where people will most likely only flywing/teleport towards too, and will have their hands full on the monsters on their path, not to mention the MVP down there.

My main complaint regarding mining is that its still so less attractive to do compared to fishing, and i'm not talking about the lvl 4 stone drop rate.

I understand that mining and fishing are 2 different things but i personally do not understand why you cannot get DCA's, gift boxes, and treasure boxes from mining since honestly with a bit of imagination you could think of a reason why you could pick those up in mining as well.

What annoys the crap out of me regarding mining as well is that anti-bot npc, he takes points if you don't answer his question correct or if you "spam" the 'i don't know' thing to much. Why doesn't fishing has this? Because of the weight of the fish?

And probably last but not least for as far as i can remember my complains when i just woke up, the mining hat compared to the fishing hat. Fishing hat takes 100 fish bottles who you can get during fishing at the advanced spot, in an average 3000 bait run i usually end up with about 0~5 of them. Mining spot however, i usually go down there with about 200~220 picks per run and always end up with 0, and IF i'm lucky i might do a few runs and end up with 1 if not once again 0, if that again i'm lucky. The drop rate of fish bottles compared to rough Orichalum is just really unfair. I know that 5 pure Orichalum of them are a god item component, but do the rest of the players have to "suffer" from that?

I'm not sure if this fact is correct or not but i also read on the wiki that the npc has a 10% chance to turn your rough into a pure ore, however since the test server is down i have no idea how much rough it takes to make a pure one. Went down their myself with the ores i have on the real server and it takes 5 to turn one into a pure. Doing some simple math that means if its really 10% to turn 5 into 1 pure and your really unlucky, that means you'll need 500 roughs to make 10 pure...

I also heard from as far as i know still the first and only person who owns a mining hat that it doesn't really do anything but 'make the amount of picks broken slightly less, which isn't really noticeable'. Quoted from that person.

I love mining, heck i even like it more then fishing but its just not so great compared to fishing. This is also not meant as a big bash towards the GM-team or anything.

I like Sizes suggestion but i'd also would love to see that mining in general would gain a bit more of a boost or at least something that would make it more fair to mine, it doesn't have to be something big and hell i don't want it to become too easy to get certain stones or anything, i don't want mining to become OP or anything.

Edit: Went through another check up on the wiki and it seems that one is out of date? I don't know but for example 'silver ring' is in the mining list but i've never ever gotten one of those in the time i've been mining here. Fishing list also still says you can use Fish in WoE and OCA is still in the list as well, i don't mind editing it myself if i'm sure which items are still correct and which are not.

Time zone GTM+1

Kittie- 99/70 Brewer Creator
Do a Little Dance 99/70 WoE Gypsy

[Image: nz0mqx.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2012 05:23 AM by Kittie.)
05-15-2012 05:03 AM
Raging Alt-a-holic

RE:??Mining quest suggestion

Kittie Wrote:I don't have a lot of issue's myself with the monsters but thats because i mine on my creator and my vanil is pretty much monster-proof down there.

However i can understand that anyone who doesn't have a homun like mine or just mines on a different class could have large issue's going down their. Adv fishing spot compared to Adv. mining makes the Adv. fishing spot look like quite a laughter. The locations difference between those two isn't really fair either, while the Adv. fishing spot is walkable from the portal in a sign and a sneeze (and the monsters down there are a joke as well), the Adv. mining spot is in the middle of the map, where people will most likely only flywing/teleport towards too, and will have their hands full on the monsters on their path, not to mention the MVP down there.

I've actually been trying to make a??Super Novice to deal with the stuff down there. +9 gears for agi and flee (+9 Ninetails garment and??+9 or better Thanatos Odium shoes) so my novice can get the flee to dodge those things reliably, and??Super Novice fury with a Goblin steamrider card in a silver shotel so I can get the crit to always hit them. That way I can live an hour or two so I can mine without dying while I'm still picking up rocks or taking that quiz. still way more effort than a casual player should put towards the game to spend long amounts of time clicking a single cell.

In the end, this Novice would give me enough flee to rival an agi built SinX and enough weight limit to pass as a Merchant class (increase weight limit and Push cart are INVALUABLE to miners).
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2012 07:49 AM by The Legendary Joe.)
05-15-2012 07:45 AM
EvolutionXI Offline
Sniped

Kittie Wrote:I understand that mining and fishing are 2 different things but i personally do not understand why you cannot get DCA's, gift boxes, and treasure boxes from mining since honestly with a bit of imagination you could think of a reason why you could pick those up in mining as well.

Edit: Went through another check up on the wiki and it seems that one is out of date? I don't know but for example 'silver ring' is in the mining list but i've never ever gotten one of those in the time i've been mining here. Fishing list also still says you can use Fish in WoE and OCA is still in the list as well, i don't mind editing it myself if i'm sure which items are still correct and which are not.
You can already get treasure boxes from the advanced mining spot. As for the wiki, it should probably have a "Normal Spot Only" heading too for things like the silver ring (not sure if there are any other normal only ones since I don't actually pay attention to drops much).

Kittie Wrote:I'm not sure if this fact is correct or not but i also read on the wiki that the npc has a 10% chance to turn your rough into a pure ore, however since the test server is down i have no idea how much rough it takes to make a pure one. Went down their myself with the ores i have on the real server and it takes 5 to turn one into a pure. Doing some simple math that means if its really 10% to turn 5 into 1 pure and your really unlucky, that means you'll need 500 roughs to make 10 pure...
Could it perhaps be 10% chance to fail instead? I never even knew it could fail until talking to some other people about it since my first 5 attempts all succeeded. Only my 6th attempt last week failed. It'd be nice if it could be 100% success though, even that could help a lot in making the hat.
05-15-2012 10:22 AM
Seth~ Offline
Half-ling Assasin

Random comment on mining (i do not fish yet btw) mining vs AD mining, advanced mining has a few more items which 2 is generally useful for me (hatter card & mining hat item). A bunch of other not so useful items is also added like ninja usable items.

@~YIN~

The idea is great as a concept, i'd suggest a more random element and potential greater rewards.

5 questions answered in a row = 1 (elunium/oridecon/gold/gift box)
25 questions answered in a row = 1 random ore (not rough orichalum or enriched elunium/oridecon)
50 questions answered in a row = 1 (rough orichalum/gold/ random 4th stone)
100 questions answered in a row = 1 (old card album/rough orichalum/gold/ random 4th stone/enriched elunium/enriched oridecon)

For the Hat I'd suggest a small like 2% percentage less stone's received in addition to the current features. + This improved correct questions answered in a row is only activated with the hat. Otherwise you get a strong pick.

most wanted buying list
http://pandoraonline.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=19956
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2012 11:01 AM by Seth~.)
05-15-2012 10:55 AM
Former-GM-Circe Offline
Thank you, all. <3

Oh man. I still can't read fishing vs mining comparisons and think "So, fishing needs to be in a harder place. Got it!"

... Whatever happened to those plans?
*brb poking Panda*

And the miner does give a hugeee incentive to keep answering those questions.
He makes sure you're not macroing. You stop answering, you start looking verrrryyy much like that's what you're doing~

Gone! Thanks for the memories.
<333

05-15-2012 06:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Raging Alt-a-holic

GM-Circe Wrote:Oh man. I still can't read fishing vs mining comparisons and think "So, fishing needs to be in a harder place. Got it!"
Kinda reminds me of the days when noone knew where the advanced spot was for fishing, a lot of people thought it was going to be in Biolabs f3. And there was ancient suggestions for "Legendary" fishing spots in places like Abyss Lake or Odin's.
05-15-2012 10:54 PM
Weapon Offline
The Family Jewels

GM-Circe Wrote:And the miner does give a hugeee incentive to keep answering those questions.
He makes sure you're not macroing. You stop answering, you start looking verrrryyy much like that's what you're doing~

Implicaton: Do you track data on who's spamming "I don't know" enough times to answer incorrectly on a repeated basis and issue bans as appropriate? Because that would be an awesome way to do catch culprits.

Also, since orichalcum is a god-item component now, they should make a new quest-item altogether for making mining hats--one that drops about as often as fish bottles. It's definitely a less preferable to make a boobyhat than applying rares towards making 2 mjolnirs--or selling the ore to people who can make said god-items for a ridiculous amount of zeny.

Where'd they get "10% success rate" in refining orichalcum? It didn't seem like 10% to me, more like... 50? Maybe it changed, I don't know. [SOURCE]?
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2012 07:59 AM by Weapon.)
05-16-2012 07:39 AM