Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
About that review we received on RMS forums o.o
Gojira Offline
truth hurts

About that review we received on RMS forums o.o

http://forum.ratemyserver.net/server-rev...ero-24403/

Anyone read it? What do you guys think about it (What do you agree and disagree on)?

I think it's nice to get the opinion from "outsiders" (people who weren't around for years) regarding what they think of the server. Shows how someone who's new to the server can see things, especially knowing that they did reviews like this for many servers so they can actually see what's the strong and weak points of the server.

[Image: 14tph6o.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2013 02:06 PM by Gojira.)
03-01-2013 02:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MrsCharcanine Offline
PKMN TRAINER

RE: About that review we received on RMS forums o.o

At first I was a little offended by it, only because they didn't really get to go deeper into the server as the way most of us in the community did. They kinda made assumptions based on a 1 day(?) walk through and didn't get to experience most of the fun. \O/ However, I'm glad that they did point out, as you said, the weak points. I won't deny our economy can use some work, as well as BG, but I'm also glad they pointed to our community as one of our big ups, because it is something to be proud about. =D

Anyways, I hope that this will make people interested! Icon_biggrin

[Image: kku876l]
[Image: 1zf23br.png]
03-01-2013 04:39 PM
Kittie Offline
Cheshire Cat

I think like all servers out there our server has some flaws and other then certain things its also a big matter of taste.

Like the things they are saying about having to do the job change quests, some like or even love that about our server, others prefer to talk to an npc, pick a class and done.

I was a little offended as well because i think its quite easy to join a server for such a short amount of time and haven't even fully done/tested out certain things but still have an opinion about it or base it one something you think it is.

Other things bothered me a little as well, like how they talk about gold and how easy it is to get on our server (GB's, Events etc). With all kinds of assumptions for what it was/is for (Infinite Zeny Fountain) but they don't know we have custom add-on's that consume gold as well (such as nobility).

And shops, i get we HAVE a lot of autovenders but i don't believe our server population is only 40 like they claim it is. As well as their screenshot of shops (ironically my boyfriends shops are on those, his forger and our shared shops at the other side of the street) and as the owner i can say we are not 'holding just 3 items' per vender like they claim we do. Those are minor details that annoy me a little about their review, though in all honesty there are enough shops that do actually have just 2-5 items in them.

Another thing that bothers me is the constant amount of comparing with other servers, i can understand it but on the other hand every server is unique in a way as well with certain customs. Comparing cheese with a cow doesn't always seem the right thing to do in my opinion, especially when you refer to high rates while you're playing a low rate.

Personally i feel like their have had a negative 'whatever' attitude to begin with when they started out with the review but that is just what i experience from their review, an all in all meh kind of way to tell it.

Perhaps i'm just around for to long here and blinded a little to much, its been to long since i was a newbie. Though there are also some parts i agree on, such as the BG things, though on the other hand i still understand the servers reason for adding a fee to it as well, so yeah...

TR;DL
I think it was more negative then our server deserved but they did hit some spots that might be worth checking into.

Time zone GTM+1

Kittie- 99/70 Brewer Creator
Do a Little Dance 99/70 WoE Gypsy

[Image: nz0mqx.jpg]
03-01-2013 05:46 PM
KaminoKaoru Offline
call me kri

Yes it's a shame that they weren't able to dig deeper into our server's customs. However we are able to see here how newcomers would most likely react upon having the heroic experience of Ragnarok for the first time, especially those who have tried a lot of servers already.

I just hope that we would make use of this review in a positive way so that we can do something to fix or at least compensate for this server's weak points.

Ok

This goes to all my friends, new, old and the ones
I've lost over the years but have never forgotten.
03-01-2013 05:56 PM
demishock Offline
Natural Selection

While there are certainly insights to be gained from it, I find it off-putting that they rag on certain features that they didn't bother to ask anyone in-game about, especially since they laud our community so highly. I think it paints a dreary picture for newcomers - I feel like most people who are serious about sticking around would ask people questions.

I was going to use the V4P/seasonal "one time only" stuff as an example, but I see MrCharc's in the thread sticking up for us on this and several other points! \o/ Suffice it to say I can't think of very many items that were only available once and never again. :/ Maybe some fairy auction stuff, which is kind of heRO's "donation rewards." The fact that forking over money DOESN'T give people a huge advantage is one of the things I really like about this server. Zeny's fair game. IRL finances... much harder to come by. XD

Another example: saying that @showexp can't be turned off on relogs. Wha...? A quick query on main would've let them know that you can turn it off with the GM Assistant NPC.

Anyway, they seemed to contradict themselves by complaining about the expense of the warp NPCs followed immediately by complaining about how lucrative Poring Smash is. (The economy IS broken, though; I don't think anyone will deny that.) And as far as things like putting the Moscovia quest in goes: true, those of us who were here pre-quest lucked out... on characters we had pre-quest. Post-quest chars, not so much. That's the fair side of having to unlock the warps on every character rather than once per account.

tl;dr: I'm all for constructive criticism, but I feel like they should've asked more questions rather than making negative assumptions about so many things! (And it sucks they came in the middle of the Control Panel errors and fishing being removed. @__@)

My main takeaway is that it seems I (and whoever else feels like it) need to update the wiki to be more explicit about certain things for new players. Speaking of the wiki, the "How to Help" page could definitely use an update, but I can't do that one; it appears to be admin-only. There are dead links on there ("projects page"? "heRO wiki Policies"?) and all it says for signing up is to create an account, which can't be done without contacting... someone. (I think it's Rahice now?) I feel like the procedure for getting editing privileges ought to be on there somewhere, basically.

To help:
Join Test & Dev and/or our heRO wiki
Apply to be a GM or mod
Vote and Review

For help:
Submit a support ticket
Check the heRO wiki

[Image: 29bnhpd.jpg]
03-01-2013 08:52 PM
Weapon Offline
The Family Jewels

There's things they're both right and wrong about.

-Account-bound warps and ending other busywork redundancies wouldn't be the end of the world. As much as I've spent unlocking places on tenbillion characters I wouldn't mind if they were free to unlock.

-They spent a long time knocking the buddy-beanie!! D:>??It's a new player's best friend, and you can use it to grind ALL your new characters and trans characters. It also unlocks towns for you for free and makes you travel.

-They're right about V4P gears. Why not just make them *all* available for 50 points? Or if you want to be stingy and all "no you can't have them agarrarrara >:U" about it, make them use 75 points for a gear that's out of season--or discount current-month gears. Building on that, having to wait THE WHOLE YEAR to get a certain custom gear here (i.e. holiday/birthday) is something I've always hated too. I've got some crazy patience, but that is a VERY LONG TIME to have to wait if nobody's going to sell what you're looking for. There should be SOME way to get around that so as to not penalize players for not being around at an exact time (or not being able to have the amazingly sweet benefits of an over-upped stylish hero cap.) I recommend a new add-on for the Timeless Room (Zodiac quest) to revisit various holidays/events and get gears that way (even if for an additional price), because the population is in decline and therefore so are the # of items available for purchase. Going further off on a tangent, getting a random past gear for completing a quest--as opposed to being able to choose which specific past gear you want--is also an accessibility-crippling jimmykick.

-There really are about 40-60 players online at any given time. The population is obviously bigger than that, it's just that they're not all at once.

-BG is very unfun and expensive to new players. Undeniably. I'm putting off BG'ing until it's less time consuming. In addition to the fees, there's a lot of waiting between each match and that's boring.

-Alex, they're mocking your shops!! XD!!! If they knew about the wal-mart approach we took, they'd realize that's specifically there to make a variety of weapons available for the players and not have to refresh the shops every day (buymoreweaponsbuymoreweaponsbuymoreweaponsbuymoreweapons)

-Light VS Dark apparently used to have some story behind it, and even though it still claims there's one, there hasn't really been one since Satan Morroc blew up Morroc. The Light VS Dark quasi-WoE's don't count. That's not story, that's a gangbang.

-They complained about the website layout. Hey, wasn't there some angry leetul gurl who came here and started a month long flame-fest about how great she was and how she was gonna redesign the site so fantastically and the GM's *NEEDED* to accept her help, because it's something she would totally do, and not lose interest over and disappear? I look back on that and laaaaugh~ Laugh

-Mining and fishing should be easier on your wrists or at least require less spamming to be efficient. Why not make it like New World fishing/clicking the mysterious rock, in which you click, wait about 10 seconds (and be vulnerable) but then receive a random set of results based on your fishing/mining skill level? It beats hours of stone stone stone stone iron ore stone stone stone stone pick broke guppy guppy guppy guppy fish got away fish got away salmon fish got away trout guppy bass fish got away.......

Kittie put it best, they're missing a lot of features that heRO has, but if you consider how put off they were that they wouldn't delve any further into it to *see* them, it could be part of why the population's in decline.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2013 09:17 PM by Weapon.)
03-01-2013 09:10 PM
azurerogue Offline
One Dogma: THROW AD!

As far as population goes...

As of this writing there are 348 players online. Of those 7 are Super Novices, 20 are Baby Merchants, 249 are Merchants (3 are above job level 40), 7 are Alchemists, 25 are Blacksmiths, 3 are Whitesmiths, 3 are Creators. If we assume that all Baby Merchants and Merchants are vendors, and that 50% of the non-trans 2nd class are merchants, and that 33% of the trans are merchants (and even if you assume 0% for those, it doesn't change the numbers much) that gives us a total of 294 vendors and 54 live players.

Just for the record.

- Albus Dumbledore 99/70 Professor - Albus DumbIedore 92/59 Professor
- AIbus Dumbledore 93/50 Wizard - AIbus DumbIedore 1/1 Novice
- Astaroth 99/70 Creator - Dawkins 99/70 Creator
- Exemplar 98/69 Paladin - Equitas 80/47 Paladin
- Mephistopheles 95/65 Lord Knight - Shogo Kawada 97/67 Stalker
03-01-2013 09:50 PM
cane 33 Offline
Pancake

Welcome to the "kawaii-hat sentiment" server!
I laughed too much on this true sentmentLaugh

They have right on automatic events: are easy, a lot and give good items too easy.

Before that GM make the Event Bag, I remember hatter cards 500k, nothing sell them but all want to buy. A lot of people buy sunglasses[1] and other shit from hatter.

Now you can get hatter cards e bb very very easy, all people sell them at 300k and you can found some hatter hat more easy than before.

Easy way to get money = perma poring smash.

The BG...
Is better that I don't speak, because GM here don't care a f*** of PvP and I see this on this 2 years. The original BG are differents, but avoid this argument...

That a people that played a day speak bad of economy of this server has no sense, but in the end he has right: this server has a problem with economy and I blame automatic events for this.

They said that some quest are hards: can't be all easy, else where is the fun?

There are various fun stuff around, but not for a new player: need to play a bit for know this server.

[Image: 2uikp3q.jpg]

Ren is the best
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2013 10:05 PM by cane 33.)
03-01-2013 10:04 PM
demishock Offline
Natural Selection

RE:??About that review we received on RMS forums o.o

cane 33 Wrote:That a people that played a day speak bad of economy of this server has no sense, but in the end he has right: this server has a problem with economy and I blame automatic events for this.

Economy's been broken since well before the automatic events got put in. :/
Just sayin'. /can never afford anything, ever

I am not a full-time zeny farmer, clearly. XD; My heroic experience of RO is to hunt the vast majority of my items myself, which is going to take a good long time (see: forever), so I'll always have a reason to keep playing. *___*

To help:
Join Test & Dev and/or our heRO wiki
Apply to be a GM or mod
Vote and Review

For help:
Submit a support ticket
Check the heRO wiki

[Image: 29bnhpd.jpg]
03-01-2013 10:50 PM
Draco Offline
Shadow Writer

I think you pretty much covered what I would have said, Mariel. I do think they were a bit harsh and really expected and compared it too much to their favorite servers compared to it being its own. Not to mention they sort of weren't familiar with any mechanics we have and just put everything as "too much of a bother" They're a bother because of how strong some of that stuff is and we don't want stuff handed to us.

Shaman Draco | High Wizard
Draco MD | Alchemist
Highwayman Draco | Rogue
Ascetic Draco | Zeny Monk
Danavas Draco | PvP Monk

My book's facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/author.ambermorant
03-01-2013 11:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply