Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Who wants to be a millionaire ;o!
GM-Ayu Offline
Uguu!

RE: Who wants to be a millionaire ;o!

Just use 1/1 event novice, and that solves all guild chat/party chat problem.

Your remaining problem is to fight against alt-tabbing.

-Spawning monster isn't a good idea because answering requires you to stop moving and type. You die either way from this perspective. You got room for people to pretend they are answering, "died" to the monster while answering, and that's plenty of time to alt tab during this excuse period.

-with or without audience, the "MSN/Vent cheat" applies. Just that the one being questioned will be the one to ask on MSN/Vent and then everyone else replies. Vent is the ugliest one since it's far faster than MSN. You just talk and there's response.

Speed is 'generally' the best solution to fight alt-tabbing. Now that I think about it, Weakest Link is probably the most "RO-friendly" game show possible since speed is now a concern. Feel free to alt tab, but you're wasting time for a higher zeny score.

If we want to keep it on Millionaire type of thing, part of it will depend on how the question is worded so that it's not just simple trivia, but things you "can't look up for." Riddles or facts outside of heRO wiki/databases maybe? Problem is that this greatly limits the scoop of potential questions. Overly difficult cuts the fun.

Keep thinking though Icon_biggrin it's these repetitive process of balancing between integrity of the rule and convenience/fun to the players that new events are made, and old events get better.

10-22-2008 01:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

Sakurato Wrote:K so, teOx and I were apparently, super bored. Annnd one thing led to another...

Icon_biggrinLove

im stupid, off topic moving on.

wont have to be exactly like who wants to be a millionaire. is it just me or does main chat not show up if you have a chat window open now? if so the set up could be like this:

audience???????????????????? host????????????????????????????player

such that the audience cant hear player in general but host can hear both. the game isnt the same without audience hearing the answer. once he gives the final answer on main (and is unable to hear anything else on main) he can close the chat room to see what people think on main. in the case of RO, asking audience is probably a little too powerful compared to the real game. lets invent our own lifelines or something but stuff like 50/50 is fine i think.

edit: just tested it and unless my client is really drugged up or something, with a chat box open you cannot see or hear main chat even though you CAN talk on it. and yeah someone checking on /exall every once in awhile i dont think theres a problem with the layout.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2008 02:32 PM by teOx.)
10-22-2008 02:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GM-Ayu Offline
Uguu!

hm you can hire someone as "the person to ask" so you're just getting the help of one person instead of the entire server to help you maybe?

Seems like the chat thing solves the audience problem if it works as you said. Now just have to work on going against alt-tabbing.

10-22-2008 02:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

youre supposed to have both. if you havent seen the millionaire show there are basically 3 lifelines that you can resort to if you are stuck on a problem: "phone a friend", "50/50", and "ask the audience". after you use up all 3 lifelines youre basically on your own.

WATCH THIS VIDEO its semi relevant Icon_razz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8JrsnpWU...re=related
10-22-2008 02:50 PM
GM-Ayu Offline
Uguu!

Yes I know, but in the show, audience =/= "every person in existance" XD;

I mean that in "phone a friend" equivalent is sort of asking anyone you want. But then 'new' version of audience can be a specific person who's recognized as knowledgeable on nearly all grounds of RO or something.

New lifelines work too, as lifelines aren't difficult things to think about. Mostly, it's tackling alt-tab/'illegal lifelines'

10-22-2008 02:55 PM
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

"Phone a friend" I think the equivalent would be that before you start you choose 5 players (must be online if it's hosted by a gm, if hosted by a player must be in audience). When comes the time to use this lifeline you decide which of the 5 players you want, the host recalls them and you got 30 seconds to tell them the question.

"Ask the audience" would be the audience watching the event. I say you have them open a chat with A, B, C or D, and then you count how many people in each.

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
10-22-2008 03:07 PM
GT-Hiro Offline
Shadow Drifter

the only way I can think of to try to cut down the alt+tab situation is to put a sever time limit on the thought period and various other parts that have a time limits.

GT-BlackHiro, GT-WhiteHiro, GT-ShadowHiro, GT-Destiny

Quote:A Lost Soul drifting though the voids of Eternal
Darkness
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2008 03:10 PM by GT-Hiro.)
10-22-2008 03:08 PM
Sakurato Away
Full Support Copycat

yay! good discussion happened while I was in class.

GM-Ayu Wrote:Just use 1/1 event novice, and that solves all guild chat/party chat problem.

If we want to keep it on Millionaire type of thing, part of it will depend on how the question is worded so that it's not just simple trivia, but things you "can't look up for." Riddles or facts outside of heRO wiki/databases maybe? Problem is that this greatly limits the scoop of potential questions. Overly difficult cuts the fun.

good ideas Ayu. Mixing up the questions so they're not just "A, B, C, D" answers could solve the the alt tabbing problem partially as well as making it more native to HeRO Ok.

@teOx
About lifelines I agree we should make our, that would be fun~. Also the playing being in a chat room saying their thoughts to main is a good idea, or did I totally miss the concept of that?

weee for getting somewhere.

Kohana|Sinx
Euphorie|Champ
Sonatina|Gypsy
Sakurato|High Priest
Nozomi|Whitesmith
Sakura|Professor
Frejya|Sniper
Ayami|Creator
Anei|Stalker
Fumiko|High Wizard
10-22-2008 03:12 PM
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

yeah thats exactly how i was thinking. the host and the player can be in the chat room or just the player. either way. we rock Icon_biggrin i think ayu would be a great help in coming up with questions too Icon_razz
10-22-2008 03:16 PM
Sakurato Away
Full Support Copycat

yeah, I think Ayu could help fairly well with the questions. She's more then welcome if she wantsIcon_biggrin, Pandora and the other GMs are welcome to help out as well if they wish to.

As far as players go for submitting questions I wont allow it at the moment! Sorry~ :D.

So, there's still a little cheating to be gotten rid of though, I don't think ALL cheating can be abolished, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHz2RSsS...re=related (who wants to steal a million! Good documentary about 9 or 10 parts I think.) If the official game can be purged I would assume ours can be as well. Maybe we should run with it a first time with our boundaries we have placed now. Afterward we can asses how the whole thing went, make improvements etc.

Kohana|Sinx
Euphorie|Champ
Sonatina|Gypsy
Sakurato|High Priest
Nozomi|Whitesmith
Sakura|Professor
Frejya|Sniper
Ayami|Creator
Anei|Stalker
Fumiko|High Wizard
10-22-2008 03:35 PM