Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Forced XP Tapping/Leeching
Fenrisulfr Offline

Forced XP Tapping/Leeching

Hi,

I just wanted to make a case for what I thought might be a Good Rule. First, let me point out this this Rule currently in place:

Quote:
  • Do not interfere with someone else's monster
    It is forbidden to use any skill what so ever to block, kill, make another player lose his aggro or steal a monster. This is unless the person asked for help. To pneuma, heal or buff someone else's monster is thus forbidden.
Now, what I want to question is the idea of Forced EXP Tapping/Leeching. This is a problem that has become an especially prominent in Sphinx 4 (Anubis). It has come to my attention that there are several cases of where Anubis are left at a few thousand XP to force someone else to Tap EXP for the original attacker and cases where Acolytes who Heal/Tele to Leech EXP off of others who are trying to Level on the Map.

This is detrimental to the people trying to Level on the map as it forces them to Tap for others in order to cycle the map for their own use, which means using their own time (be it time spent on supplies, time spent IRL, or whatnot). This practice also leads to more situations where monsters an abnormal number of monsters are clumped together and leads to unintentional (or so one hopes) mob-training, especially when teleports after tapping happen right next to another player. Granted, only intentional Mob Trains are against the Rules but I'd like to note that this occurs as a result of intentional actions, whether or not the consequences were intentional.

If nothing else, I would wonder whether or not this should be considered abuse of the Boosted EXP Taps that have been implemented. And in any case, I believe that such practices are disrespectful to other players. Hence, I thought that a Rule against such actions would be a good idea since it is interfering with the monster spawns on the entire map but in a different way.

Any thoughts anyone?
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2008 08:40 PM by Fenrisulfr.)
12-22-2008 08:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fruityla Offline
Miss Ranty Pants

RE: Forced XP Tapping/Leeching

I'd think that when a monster is left at a lower amount of HP it's because the original attacker died. In which case, the monster becomes free for all. Same can apply for a mob, someone just went a bit overboard and died.

Doesn't mean the "forced leeching" doesn't happen Sweat but I wouldn't know since I always assume it was a death.

I don't use @main. Do not ask for me there

~Characters~
"Lady" Linnea: 99/69 Spirit
Champion

Aslinn: 9x/6x High Wizard
Jocelinn: Low-level dagger stalker
Lemon Poring: 9x/50 Brewer
Alchemist
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2008 09:05 PM by Fruityla.)
12-22-2008 09:03 PM
Eldakar Offline
DevYne SublYme KevYne

Anubis can teleport.

So if you see a lowered HP anubis it might of teleported away from the attacker.

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.
12-22-2008 09:48 PM
The Legendary Joe Offline
Raging Alt-a-holic

RE:??Forced XP Tapping/Leeching

Fruityla Wrote:I'd think that when a monster is left at a lower amount of HP it's because the original attacker died. In which case, the monster becomes free for all. Same can apply for a mob, someone just went a bit overboard and died.

While this is true, their claim over a monster is lost when??it changes targets, or is ditched. If they're lucky, they can come back to kill it, but probably if there's more people on the map than just them,??they'll probably have to let the other people kill it.

Most of the time, I don't teleport??unless A:??for some reason i don't think I can finish the monster off and stay alive, B: another monster(s) comes and aggros on me, and threatens my survival, or C: The monster is dead, and there's??not really anything worth my while to run from or kill.

While it's not illegal, I think the boosted exp from different people hitting a monster should be reserved for parties. That's what the whole thing was made for.

Eldakar Wrote:Anubis can teleport.

So if you see a lowered HP anubis it might of teleported away from the attacker.
I think that anubis is scripted so that it'll only teleport if rude attacked.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2008 09:52 PM by The Legendary Joe.)
12-22-2008 09:52 PM
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

well i think priests who goes to anubis would probably TU them rather than heal-bomb them...

monks who go there should also 1-hit them with asura...

so i think perhaps Eldakar's reasoning is more probable and that to some extent lin's reasoning could also be true (god knows how many times i get killed when there are more than 2 -i've had 5 once- anubis in very close quarters)...

-w-
12-22-2008 09:59 PM
Ellie Offline
Bittersweet

This discussion was recently brought up, when a Wiz was complaining about a dancer XP leeching in Thors.

All that was happening was, as her little archer self, she was fly winging away when about to die, to go heal, and then trying to get back again to finish it.

This Wiz felt obligated to kill of what she had already started, rather than finding another. oO

But yes, there are many reasons for it, and after the "Hit Time Detection" thread, I have discovered a LOT of people fly wing away from a monster to heal, and then try to come back to it.

Inasad
stop doing dickers
12-23-2008 01:54 AM
Frogboy Offline
Posting Freak

fwing'ing away to escape death is a very common practice, though on a map with a large amount of other players, it makes it a rather poor leveling method as more often than not someone else will stumble on your monster, assume the attacker was killed and finish the monster off, only to realize the attacker was just trying to escape death and come back to finish off the job.

as much as it would be nice to eliminate this form of exp boost, there really isn't a way of doing so without putting so many restrictions on players that it isn't worth leveling in the first place. these things will happen, and if you don't want them to happen, try to find a map where there aren't as many people, or are no people at all. then there will be a lot less accidental exp boosts.
12-23-2008 02:20 AM
Ellie Offline
Bittersweet

Just bear in mind, the amount of exp you get is usually in ratio with the amount of damage you did.

So, unless the monster heals, it's not like they are getting exp for you doing all of the work.

Inasad
stop doing dickers
12-23-2008 02:28 AM
Frogboy Offline
Posting Freak

yeah, i wasn't meaning it that way, i meant for anyone else trying to kill monsters, not the ones tele'ing away lol
12-23-2008 02:33 AM
Fenrisulfr Offline

While I understand what you guys are getting at (it's partially why I thought not to bring it up before), what I mean is when it is done intentionally.

Taking the case of Anubis, the thing has 38K HP. If you brought it down to 1-2K, chances are you probably could've killed it. A TU Priest would have it KO'd and the damage done would be minimal for failed TUs (How many actually drop it under 30K HP before TU suceeds o.0). Homunc users... well, those lil buggers aren't leaving them alive. Hunters/Snipers and Sage/Wizards who level there are more likely to kill them or leave them at half or so. Point being, if you wander the map and the spawn is not only irregular but if you come across excessive numbers of "Near Dead" monsters (say, 6/15), someone's doing it intentionally.

Thing is, if they're on the map, they're forcing you to Boost their EXP Gain while dropping yours since you can't Kill a Full HP Monster without cycling the near dead ones. They get the majority of it + Boost for your Tap but you get to waste time killing something for no experience to Cycle a Full HP one. It's not that they can't kill it but they leave it (I'd imagine coming across more than "a few" like that is proof enough). A simple check would be to see who's on the map using the CP to see if it truly was accidental or intentional (I believe the latter happens more often on certain maps, not just Anubis).

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen that accidents come or there are ditches via Fwing/Tele. Though, Aggro claims are irrelevant IMO. If the person did it intentionally and are on the map, they still get the majority of XP and Items so it's point Moot whether or not they're "ditches" are their aggro. The "gain" is still theirs when someone else kills it. My argument is that I've noticed that on some maps, it's being done what I suspect to be intentionally and not just survival ditches. As to the HP argument, again, I mean that they've dealt a majority damage already before leaving it (Note: In the example of Anubis', a 38K monster left with 1-2K HP means someone's already dealt it 36-37K damage to claim EXP/Items on it with).

Wondering whether I should give up on this though now that people have replied. I don't disagree that to make a rule regarding this also hurts those who do so with good reason. I just don't like how the "Party Incentive" has been abused and to be quiet honest, never quite got how the bonus was necessary anyways *shrugs*

Thanks for the replies so far though guys. I appreciate the thought you put in this matter!

PS I've never once seen an Anubis Teleport my whole time Leveling there, both Heal Bombing or TUing... (/swt) You guys sure he Tele's?
12-23-2008 03:17 AM