Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Group PvP - HeRO Battlegrounds
Nidsrule Offline
๏̯͡๏

Group PvP - HeRO Battlegrounds

With the recent threads regarding both group pvp tournaments and Battlegrounds, I got to thinking about a custom battlegrounds system designed to suit heRO's lower population.

After looking further into how Battlegrounds was implemented on iRO, it's pretty obvious it will never work effectively with heRO's population. The maps and objectives of official Battlegrounds won't work if the team sizes were merely scaled down (mainly due to map sizes). Going off the discussion in the scripts suggestion thread about Battlegrounds it seems team sizes of around 5-7 people would be favorable.

Anyway, on to my idea for a Battlegrounds map for heRO. Teams of 5-7 players would assemble in a waiting room map. Once both teams are fully assembled (the script would check that each party has all members online and that the party is assembled on the same map) the teams would be warped to their teams' warp in point. Advancing from this warp in point would bring each team to a crystal, which they must defend. The crystals themselves would be located in slightly larger "chambers" which would be connected by a narrower hallway.

The objective is simply to kill the other teams' crystal. Doing so causes both teams to be returned to their warp in points (Both crystals would be fully healed). For each kill one point would be awarded. Each round would have a set time limit (say 10 minutes). The team with the most points after this time limit is declared the winner. Tied matches would result in both teams receiving nothing, to enforce actual competition rather than teams agreeing to a tie to farm battlegrounds medals.

Upon death players would have a 20-30 second cooldown before they would be warped back to their warp in point and be allowed back into play. This would mean a team could be at a significant disadvantage if they don't plan their attack/defense effectively.

Basically I'm interested in seeing how much real interest there is in implementing a custom Battlegrounds system from both the players and from Pandora (I'd be willing to both make a map from scratch and code what I have suggested if there is any real chance of this being implemented).

[Image: 2yv147n.gif]
02-24-2009 09:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
azurerogue Offline
One Dogma: THROW AD!

RE: Group PvP - HeRO Battlegrounds

Wow, long time no see... heh. But my main problem with this (even though I'm all for more PvP on heRO) is that, even at "crowded" times our PvP room has like 8-12 people usually. How will we manage to field two teams of 5-7 more than once every few days? I think Battlegrounds as a concept could be fun, but it already has issues on iRO (like people stacking matches to earn the other team points, etc.). I dunno, I'm interested in the idea, but I'm just wondering how it will work with how un-popular PvP is here.

- Albus Dumbledore 99/70 Professor - Albus DumbIedore 92/59 Professor
- AIbus Dumbledore 93/50 Wizard - AIbus DumbIedore 1/1 Novice
- Astaroth 99/70 Creator - Dawkins 99/70 Creator
- Exemplar 98/69 Paladin - Equitas 80/47 Paladin
- Mephistopheles 95/65 Lord Knight - Shogo Kawada 97/67 Stalker
02-24-2009 11:16 AM
Général_Argos Offline
Removed by GM

1- very good idea and analyse
2- teams of 7 would be ideal imho
3- to ensure a minimal participation, it can be started as a semi-automated event by gms, and when the population gets larger, I don't know, something like 400+, be an automated event helded like 2 or 3 times per day (or per week) at specific hours.??

I'm sure this is the kind of stuff that will interest a lot of people and that will generate less whining than pvp events.??

If this is well implemented, I'm almost sure alot people will get addicted.??Icon_smile

IGN: 9000KRIM Alts:  Morradin, KRIMSTEAL
Banned: Krimlin, Krimlogas, Lord_Krimlogas, General_Argos
Krim's grocery list

¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_-KRIMLIN-¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯/
Murphy law.  The only true one.  
[Image: krimstyleg.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2009 11:49 AM by Général_Argos.)
02-24-2009 11:42 AM
KohakuSan Offline
<3 Hill Lions!

And I don't think we can really compare it with the usual PvP since there are rewards(some are pretty nice btw) and thus more people interested on it.
I'd love to have it, it's great.
The only problem I can see are the exploits it can have like bribing people to lose or something like that to earn points easily.
02-24-2009 12:03 PM
Neuneck Offline
Back on the road!

There's few things to nothing you can do against bribery. Theoretically it would be possible to bribe guilds into not WoEing, thus being able to hold a castle and build eco...
People don't do that because most still remember this is a GAME and is mainly supposed to be FUN.

Mr Moe - 99/69 SinX
Mr Satch - 9x/6x Clown
Mr Power - Xx/Xx Whitesmith
Mr Strafe - 9x/50 Hunter - Coffee Break
Mr Heal - 9x/50 Priest
02-24-2009 02:43 PM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

And there isn't much you can do about that. Instead, think of it like this...do we bribe people to fall in WoE? Not really, and I think similar things would occur with battlegrounds. Most people play to win, not to see themselves fall.

Let's not overanalyze it. Making it automated with certain times could be good so it isn't so easily abused with the same guild and their alt guild working together to score each other points since they couldn't just do it whenever.

Um um um, I got nothing else really, the 5-7 team idea would be excellent, and I'd love to face off against other teams, and plus I wouldn't mind some of those rewards from it myself *.*

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
02-24-2009 02:44 PM
KohakuSan Offline
<3 Hill Lions!

I didn't mean exactly bribing(lack of words), more like setup with the other team, like 2 teams of friends, one wants the items, the other doesn't care and wanna help them get it.
02-24-2009 02:47 PM
Sakurato Away
Full Support Copycat

LOL..

sounds fun xD I guess.

Kohana|Sinx
Euphorie|Champ
Sonatina|Gypsy
Sakurato|High Priest
Nozomi|Whitesmith
Sakura|Professor
Frejya|Sniper
Ayami|Creator
Anei|Stalker
Fumiko|High Wizard
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2009 03:17 PM by Sakurato.)
02-24-2009 03:17 PM
Frogboy Offline
Posting Freak

we essentially already have this type of battlegrounds setup in ToH mass battle, with the only difference being there aren't crystals to defend. with that in mind, why not set up this battlegrounds idea similarly to ToH, by using the allegiances to form the teams rather than specific guilds or what not. that way it's ensuring that no "bribery" would happen, as there are in each guild both light and dark affiliations.

also, making it limited to a certain time or certain days is good, and possibly require less ToH points to enter, if you feel the need for that as well (though i'm sure this would like to get away from the ToH aspect).
02-24-2009 04:54 PM
Nidsrule Offline
๏̯͡๏

There is already the concern that there may not be a large enough player base to make a system like this work effectively. Limiting parties based on allegiance could ruin it completely in the case that there is a large build up of pvp minded people on one side compared to the other.

I was kinda hoping people wouldn't stick with the guild vs guild mindset (I was told the guild comp on heRO has cooled off a bit?) so that this system wouldn't only rely on guild competition and rather, would see mixed parties forming. Pipe dream I guess.

Don't know if it'd fix anything but perhaps rather than forming teams beforehand, people would need to enter the waiting rooms with no party. Players would be randomly distributed between two isolated waiting rooms. Both sides would be given say a minute to organise parties based off of the people who find themselves in these waiting rooms. The teams would then be required to fill a waiting room, which would check for correct party size and make sure everyone is present in the waiting room, before warping people to the arena.

Other than this it really is up to the players of heRO to be honest enough to play fairly.

[Image: 2yv147n.gif]
02-24-2009 05:19 PM