heRO-Server Forum

Full Version: Avatar question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
okay so i found a picture of an avatar i want to use, but its too big, so I saved it on my puter, and tooled with it in paint and shrunk it. I saved it as a jpeg, a gif, and a bmp, and tried uploading them and each one i got the same error "please specify a valid file type and try again"

Im confused Icon_sad anyone have any ideas?
You can only upload certain file types from your computer.

Try saving the image online, like in Photobucket.??Then upload the url from there in the corresponding field on your Upload Avatar page.??So long as it's an image file (JPG, JPEG, GIF, PNG, maybe [maybe] BMP, but not TIFF or anything Flash) and not over 120x120 pixels it should work.

I had a time trying to upload an avatar on another account and it wouldn't accept it because it was too large.??I did everything I could to the file but it never got below 60kb (Max upload is 10kb).??And even then it looked crappy because I had to put it in JPEG at a really low quality.??I then found out that if I uploaded it from the net it didn't matter how large or what file type it was.??So, I saved it to Photobucket, uploaded it to my Av page and haven't had a problem since.

That is, until Anti-Sec decides to hack Photobucket.??xp

-bb-

*edit - Oh yeah, this should go in the Help/Guide/Report section. You know - for future reference. No1

-bb-
Bob's info worked for me.

<---These guys over here are, I think, 86kb.??That's way bigger than the 10kb max upload, and I'm not going to sacrifice quality.??I save to PNG if I can.

After trying to upload them I got hit with a "File too large" message.??So, I figured, "If the max upload is 10kb, is there a max on linked images?"??Turns out there's not.

Just make sure it's 120x120p or smaller.??That's pixels.??Seems you have the file types down, so make sure it fits within the 120p-square and throw it in a Photobucket, ImageShack, or Tinypic account.??They're all free.??No1

After that, locate the file's direct link/URL, copy this URL, and paste it in the appropriate field of your Av page.??If something goes wrong then you should upload your pic herein so we can have a gander.??See if it's something in the file itself.??Ok

FYI, Just in case you're not sure how to post images in the forum:

[img]http://www.YourImageURLHere.com/img.png[!/img]

(Without the !)

No1
You can get the image size as far under 10kb as you want. But it won't upload via the upload link, anyway.
Returns some other crappy error.

So yeah. Follow the offsite uploads and link, like what all the rest said.
I got it to work finally...thanks Icon_smile
[Image: zoidberg.jpg]
Hooray for Zoidberg!

[EDIT]

Eww, I just realized what Zoidberg is riding.??LoL Sorry, peoples!??xD
Reference URL's