heRO-Server Forum

Full Version: Correspondence Chess, anyone?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have two chess boards, only one of which has been used - twice.??>_>

I should have known when I bought the one (the other came with a gaming set including checkers, backgammon, etc.) that I don't know anyone who plays chess...

To make the situation even more hopeless, my brother's wife just came back from a garage sale and bought me a set of glass chess pieces for a dollar because she knows I like to play chess (though I haven't played it in for-ev-er because I don't know anyone who knows how or wants to plays chess!).

So, I'm thinking I'm left to playing chess via correspondence.??Is there anyone herein with a chess board of their own that they're not using who would wanna play some correspondence chess over PM???I think it would be great!??No pressure of making an immediate move because the other guy's probably asleep or something, so you can take as long as you want thinking about it.??xp

I can tell you how it's done if you're unsure of how to say you moved your third pawn from the right forward two spaces.??Ok

Heck, maybe we can play it through this thread and give someone a jolly good show whilst confusing everyone else!??xp
1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f6 3.Nxe5 fxe5 4.Qh5+ g6 5.Qxe5+ Kf7 6.Qxh8 [1-0]

Chess notation (gotta know how to read it Icon_razz) + an occasional opening mistake from beginners are shown here.
e4 is the most common opener in the game. o= It leads to such great openers such as the Ruy Lopez or King's Gambit. Of course these can be thwarted with something in the nature of a good Sicilian or Izilador's (sp?) defense, e4 still remains one of the best openers for centuries now. Ok
I think Aqualys just won the game Whispers.
Nah, I never would have followed light's e4 with an e5.??It's too foreseen and readily countered.??Were I light, f6 was a lovely surprise from the dark side, but I wouldn't sacrifice my knight for such a moot cause.??Her king's already jeopardized, why risk a gambit???I'm sure she was just illustrating the notation.??=p

[EDIT]

In following the notation I see that the game's actually not over at all anyway.??White has a nice psychological advantage having the queen behind enemy lines, while black retains it's higher-ranking pieces.??Ok
Personally, I play only c4 or e4 with the Whites. With the Blacks, I usually go with the Scandinavian, Alekhine or Pirc defenses against e4, or the Grunfled or Benoni against d4.

Against the Sicilian, I keep it closed with 2.c4, Nc3, d3, g3, Bg2 and so on (I dislike playing against the Sicilian, and most players are caught off guard by my variation).

In my first message, I was just messing around.
Yeah, I figured. Just throwing away a knight like that didn't seem right. Ok
Throwing away the knight? After 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f6 3.Nxe5, Black must NOT take the knight, or they lose even more material that White's knight "sacrifice", and very quickly. The queen check on h5 is very powerful, because g6 loses the rook, and Ke7 is... very, not very nice for Black, and White keeps attacking with Bc4. Black's only correct reply on the third move is Qe7. But anyway, Black's 2...f6 move is a bad reply on its own.
to be honest, it's been some time since i've played chess too...

what i do is usually go to yahoo games... their chess system is not bad at all... wanna try that whispers and aqualys?

well i do understand the time constraints compared to playing correspondence chess through the forum such as this, but other than that i'll say yahoo did a good job...

-w-
You play Chess through correspondence? Half of my friends are Chess addicts, and 3 of them are officers in my high school's Chess Club (of which I am a part of).

I don't play that much, but I get enough of it to beat some people. xP Usually my friends go by some Facebook program to play Chess, and sometimes with utterly random people. o_o
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's