heRO-Server Forum

Full Version: Running RO in a limited account of windows XP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Somebody please have any idea of how could I run RO in a limited account of WINDOWS XP? When I try to run it, the Setup.exe archieve opens, and when I try to close it, it opens again and again. Any idea?
well setup.exe is checking to make sure your system can handle the RO engine (which most windows based computers can). my guess would be that the way the computer is set up, it does not save certain types of file settings. not sure how you'd be able to get permission for that, but with only the information you've given there it's hard to diagnose what is going on.
I have a guess. Please correct me if I'm wrong: the setup.exe archieve do this verify test at the first time the game is run at the PC, right? I did a test: in a limited account of windows XP, which protects the system foulders from modifications, I tried to run RO, without success. So, I tried to run it again in the same PC, but in a admin account, and it runned, of course, opening the Setup.exe by first time. After this, in the limited account, I could run with no problem RO. So, there are any way of the setup.exe file don't do this check? I mean, could there be a special Setup.exe file that doesn't do this check test of the system?
Setup.exe requires administrative privileges because it creates/modifies the system registry to save RO settings. The best you can do is use the admin account to set up once and never use setup.exe on the limited account. You will still need the admin account if you want to change resolutions.
That's exactly what I was thinking, but it can't be done in my case. If Setup.exe didn't save the ro settings in the system registry and if it saves in the RO folder instead, my problem would be solved. But I don't know how to do this, even if this is possible... Anyone knows?
try installing it elsewhere, put the folder (w/ everything installed) in an USB, then run it on the limited acc. Might work this way. GL
so, that's what I did, but the problem is the first run of RO, 'cause in that first run, Setup.exe writes on system registry, and in a limited account, it can't be done.
>_> "Reformat"

Also i think theres online patches to eliminate the "limited" Part of windows XP

if all else fails > Buy a new pc :3 ,reformat,pay for full.
Reference URL's