heRO-Server Forum

Full Version: Testing ubuntu 9.10 sorta
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am going to liveCD ubuntu in the next 30-40 minutes. And if all my drivers are compatible I am installing it. And then I will work at getting heRO and such working. So If that happens <3 talk to you all ingame afterwards.
see you soon! No1

-w-
Well I can proudly say I am talking to you with a LiveCD form of Ubunutu, which is very exciting. xD But my screen resolution is off...If I can not figure that out I wont be using it..
edit* hmm seems incredibly cramped ;/, I know ubuntu doesn't look this cramped lol...Fail on so many lvls...I may not be switching over...
IMO, use Linux Mint. Its basically Ubuntu underneath it all, but it is highly customized to look better, perform better, and work better.

Also, RO is a hassle to get working on Linux...and when you can get it to work...it isnt as good as if you were playing in Windows.

Which is kind of sad, since games like Guild Wars and WoW run perfectly in Linux.

Dual-boot if you can No1.
Kulluminatii Wrote:IMO, use Linux Mint. Its basically Ubuntu underneath it all, but it is highly customized to look better, perform better, and work better.

Also, RO is a hassle to get working on Linux...and when you can get it to work...it isnt as good as if you were playing in Windows.

Which is kind of sad, since games like Guild Wars and WoW run perfectly in Linux.

CryCry really I thought it would run smoothly because, I watched a youtube video and it did ;-;. I fixed the cramped issue lol its not so cramped feeling now there are still, a few minor crampy spots. But thats from the font lol. Ill install it when i wake up and give it a try maybe... @.@ if it lets me keep my music from windows i will lol.
Well, its bearable. The load times are significantly longer when playing under Linux, and there are a few graphics glitches here and there...but it is playable if you are just leveling or talking w/ friends or something. Don't plan to WoE effectively with it Icon_wink.
hiropyro Wrote:
Kulluminatii Wrote:IMO, use Linux Mint. Its basically Ubuntu underneath it all, but it is highly customized to look better, perform better, and work better.

CryCry really I thought it would run smoothly because, I watched a youtube video and it did ;-;. I fixed the cramped issue lol its not so cramped feeling now there are still, a few minor crampy spots. But thats from the font lol. Ill install it when i wake up and give it a try maybe... @.@ if it lets me keep my music from windows i will lol.

Sounds like, or sounded like, you needed graphics drivers since you'll default to something like 800x600 without them.

You should be able to access your music from your Windows partition. I don't know the exact file path at the moment, it's been awhile, but it's all there.

RO is a total, total, total nightmare to get working under Linux. I've done it before, but ultimately I'd rather have Windows open.

If you want to toy around in Linux, try using a VM. I recommend http://www.vmware.com/products/player/ myself. Just keep in mind that you'll have to have a CPU capable of virtualization technology. Most AMD processors will, but some of the lower end Intel ones will not.

Just remember that a virtual box is like a second computer running within yours. It uses the same processing power and is given it's own memory, so don't go trying it on some box that's years old.
If you keep Windows and you want to put your music onto Linux, you an build an "underground" drive. I THINK its FAT32. Anyways, use GPartedto make a new partition and on windows you can just click my computer and move your files into the Whatever:\ drive and access it from linux.
Just go to System>Preferences>Display and change the resolution. If you have a Video Card you need to first install the OS so Ubuntu can find a driver for it, then it will allow you to set your resolution using your VC.

As for running heRO I have bad news for you, the game will run but you will be unable to connect to the server until you configure some data. The process is troublesome and complicated. That's why I only use windows just to play heRO. Im using Ubuntu right now, but I have a dualboot so I can play hero.
@everyone
hmm, I figured out the resolution, lol it looked much better before bed. But
I think for now I will wait to switch to ubuntu, (wont be to long) merely because I dont feel like dual booting. So when i get that urge to do it I will.

Thx for your help!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's