heRO-Server Forum

Full Version: Top 5 games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi, What are your top 5 games???

JUST 4 AYU

GM-Ayu Wrote:You know the first thing I thought of when I see the thread title?

I thought that it's a bot.

Hope it worked :l

(I don't give a puck about your best games)
G?n?ral_Argos Wrote:(I don't give a puck about your best games)

I was going to reply seriously until I read that. Lame.
You may not give a puck, but I certainly do!
Still Aqualys, you should reply seriously, as Sepharius giving out pucks :3 never spit on free pucks??;3

Aqualys Wrote:
G?n?ral_Argos Wrote:(I don't give a puck about your best games)

I was going to reply seriously until I read that. Lame.
I don't like hockey much, but meh. Okay. My top 5 games of all time. Considering the fact that the most "recent" system I own is a Playstation (the first one!), there's nothing from 1998 onwards in my list, except one.

5. Mother 3 (Game Boy Advance). Some of you might be familiar with Earthbound on SNES. In Japan, Earthbound was called Mother 2. Anyway, Mother 3 is an incredible game... no, a masterpiece. It keeps the charm and humor of the previous games of the series, but a deep storyline is added into the mix. It's simply awesome. The game was not released outside Japan, however there's a fan translation on the net. You need to understand what's going on to truly appreciate the game to its rightful value.

4. Final Fantasy Tactics (Playstation). I like strategy RPGs in general, but this one is special. The story is complicated (on a first playthrough anyway), but deep. The gameplay is good (although on the very easy side after you learn how to play efficiently), but what really stands out is the way you can customize your characters' classes and abilities. That's fun. ^_^ Personally, I enjoy doing playthrough with all five (generic) characters being the same class, without external abilities, from other classes. Definitely much harder than it sounds. But I love that kind of challenge.

3. Lufia 2 : Rise of the Sinistrals (SNES). Epic. Good story, likeable characters, smooth gameplay. What's not to like? It's actually a gem that not enough people had the chance to play back in the days. Lufia 2 has the best optional dungeon in any game ever (up there with Star Ocean 2's), in my opinion.

2. Mega Man 3 (NES). I'm a huge fan of the Mega Man series, but this one is my favorite. Most people prefer Mega Man 2 over 3, but I prefer 3. I found the game more solid, the music more enjoyable (although 2 was awesome as well), and the way you fight Mega Man 2 robot masters again is really nice. Too bad it hasn't been done in any other Mega Man game (except Cut Man/Wood Man in Mega Man 8). Actually, I like it so much that it was the very first game I played through to upload on YouTube. On a related sidenote, I didn't have the chance to play Mega Man 9 (due to not owning newer systems), but I know the game's awesome. I'm dying to play it too.

1. Warlords (PC/DOS). Okay, I'm pretty sure none of you knows that game. You might think you do, because it's a relatively generic-sounding game name. There's probably a dozen games called Warlords on the net. Anyway, the game I refer to is basically an old strategy game. There's one map. There's eight armies. There's lots of castles. Each army starts with one castle. Most of the other castles are "neutral" (basically vacant, they're there just to be taken by whoever grabs them first - although said castles have some defenders, but they don't produce units and can't go out to attack you). Basically, each castle can produce different units. Light Infantry, Cavalry, Wolf Riders, Griffins, etc.

Each unit has a different strength stat and move stat (to move around the map), and might take a different amount of turns to be produced. You use them to attack your enemies, logically. When there's a battle, the system looks at the strength stats (and any other bonuses depending on terrain, items, etc), and the game decides which unit dies, but there's a big randomness factor. That means even a Light Infantry can win over a Dragon sometimes (but that's rare!). The randomness factor makes the game very replayable, imo.

Each army begins with one "Hero" unit. Heroes can explore ruins scattered throughout the map, and can acquire items, money, or special units that are generally stronger than the regular units (such as Dragons, Demons, etc). Although the Hero can die on said ruins as well. Each new game has different things in the ruins, so every game is different, and just adds on the replayability. Sometimes, the Storm Giants (yellow army) will get two Devils on the first ruin near their starting castle, and dominate the entire south-west part of the map, and thrash Elvallie (green army), their closest rivals. Sometimes, their Hero might die on that ruins and Elvallie will seize all nearby castles quickly and overpower the Storm Giants with ease. The random factors of the game make replayability very high because it's never the same. Of course, when you played the game as much as I, you still end up winning almost every game because you know some good tactics.

When the game starts, you get a screen with eight armies. All are shown as "Human" (which means the player control them all). Obviously, you want to pick one of the eight, and change every other to CPU. Diffculties, in order of easiest to hardest go in that order : Knight, Baron, Lord, Warlord. I say put every army but the one you picked Knight, although you can assign different strength to different armies (making the Sirians Warlord and everything else Knight for example), but that's just weird. If you take your time, you can get to know the game fairly well. Yes, it's a bit compicated at first, considering there's no ingame instructions. Anyway, the game can save up to eight files, which is nice.

For a 1991(?) PC strategy game, it's unbelievable how I love it. I played it a lot when I was 10 years old, and I still play it now that I'm 25. Although now, I prefer Warlords 2, the first game will always have that incredible amount of nostalgia to me. If you like strategy games and don't mind old, unrefined graphics (games weren't always realistic and mindblowing, kids), I say give it a try. It can be downloaded on http://www.warlorders.com. Shameless advertising, I know.

That's about it. Honorable mentions to Super Mario Bros 3 (on NES), Chrono Trigger (on SNES), Final Fantasy 4 and 6 (both on SNES) and Super Mario Kart (on SNES), as well as the entire Mega Man and Breath of Fire franchises. Also, countless other games that I loved. I could start a huge list of games a loved, but it would be, well, huge. And no, I'm not a Final Fantasy 7 fangirl.

[/Useless, uninteresting overly long message]
5. Legend of Zelda (Nes)
4. Secret of Mana (Snes)
3. Shining Force Series (Genesis/Mega Drive)
2. Ultima Online (PC)
1. This spot is still reserved.
Not a top 5 order cuz 5 is a lame number:

RTS:

1) Age of Empire 2: The age of kings (awesome game balance, awesome campaigns, awesome historical content, and awesome fun multiplaying on internet)

2) Command & Conquer : Red Alert (awesome campaign with real people screened during videos(was the first?), awesome originality and gameplay dynamic /for that time/)??not #1 because of the lame multiplayer

3)Warlord Battlecry : The first game to successfully integrate elements of rts and "rpg" donjon&dragon style.??

FPS:

1) Tremulous (KoR MOD) : Best gameplay for online fps.??Is free. Is open source.??Is multiplateforme.??What more can I say???Yea, aliens vs humans killing each other, but they can build their base.??I strongly recommand this fps.??I also recommand to use the "tremfusion client" and to play with the KOR MOD (more stuffs, is a really great addon).??

2) Perfect Dark : Nintendo 64 best game by far.??Like all the good stuff from goldeneye multiplied by something over 9000

3) Goldeneye: Nintendo 64 revolutionary game.??The first fps not being a "doom-like" or "quake-like", and the proof that a plot can coexist in an fps game.??

MMORPG:

1) Ragnarok online?

2) dunno.??Diablo2???Never understood how a not so great game like diablo2 could be so addictive.??Must be the ebil aura from blizzard <.<

Online-web-based-optimisation-strategy-game:

1) Ogame (Never, never, never start playing this game.??Never.??Will ruin your life and make you wake-up at 3 am to move your spaceships).

2)...?

Plateforme:

1) Mario Bros on Nes.??

2) Mario 64 (revolutionary gameplay and graphics, the game got copied and got skins like "Banjo Kazoi" and "donkey kong 64". Basicly the same game but with other skins).??

Hybrid:

1) Super smash 64 & supersmash on cube.??Never played it on the Wii.??

2) your mom

(yes, all that for a your mom joke)
Aqualys Wrote:3. Lufia 2 : Rise of the Sinistrals (SNES). Epic. Good story, likeable characters, smooth gameplay. What's not to like? It's actually a gem that not enough people had the chance to play back in the days. Lufia 2 has the best optional dungeon in any game ever (up there with Star Ocean 2's), in my opinion.

The ending of that game made me so depressed when I first played it... so beautiful too... Still own it. The song 'For the Savior' will be imprinted on my mind forever, and to this day still saddens me at their heroic end...
G?n?ral_Argos Wrote:Online-web-based-optimisation-strategy-game: [/b]

1) Ogame (Never, never, never start playing this game.??Never.??Will ruin your life and make you wake-up at 3 am to move your spaceships).

Someone here got sucked into it too, was close to skipping classes to move stuff around when I finally said screw this. All of those web-strat-games are like crack. Wonderful crack but still, crack.

Oh right, top 5 thing.

5. Homeworld/Homeworld Cataclysm. A RTS with both a good Single player _and_ Multi-player. Ships combat in space, groovy.

4. Final Fantasy Tactics. Someone else mentioned it, yay. Also, Orlandu, most OPed character ever? Discuss.

3. Age of Wonders II Shadow Magic. A pseudo TBS homage to an older strategy game called...

2. Master of Magic. Old, old game. Think Magic the Gathering meets TBS game. Something like 20 races, dozens of buildings, 5 different magic types with dozens of special attributes to pick from. All from a 1995 game.

1. Master of Orion II. Whats better than a TBS with magic and dragons and stuff? A TBS in space with lasers and missiles and SPACE DRAGONS.

Honorable Mentions: FFVI and Secret of Mana 1/2 for those RPG scratches, and Actraiser for its strange mix of side scroller and city building.
1.Final Fantasy Tactics
2.Castlevania: SotN
3.Kirby's Dream Course
4.Megaman 2
5.Megaman 9
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's