heRO-Server Forum

Full Version: Compy death..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I'm using my sister's laptop (I'm seriously doubting this brick can run HeRO) to post this.

My computer died. Without warning it just... shut off, and wouldn't turn on. I had thought it was my power supply, but I popped open the case and saw that the LED on the motherboard was turned on. With a severe lack of real computer knowledge, the only thing that I know is that my computer isn't responding to the power button, nor is it using the actual power going in to run (theoretically, if it had been running before and there was still power going, it shouldn't have just turned off like it did. Something makes me worry about the motherboard itself having problems)

In short, I'm gone from HeRO for a while. Again.
I'm actually more concerned because I take online classes and all of my work was on that old computer. Granted, I could salvage it all by saving the hard drive, but it's extremely hard to do my work on a computer that isn't mine, y'know?

*gives Kiyo a hug. An cookies*
Do you have a graphics card?
My sister's laptop? No. My computer itself? Yes.
Zerrif Wrote:My sister's laptop? No. My computer itself? Yes.

Okay, did said graphics card melt? Same issue happened on mine a long time ago, but when I took it out the computer functioned fine.... Just saying. D:

May not be noticeable whether or not it melted, until you take it out. ;o

Good luck dood.
Nah, the graphics card didn't melt. I took it out and tried to run the computer-- what happened was that again, the motherboard had power, but nothing happened. It just doesn't "turn on" even though it's "on", if that makes any sense.
Zerrif Wrote:Nah, the graphics card didn't melt. I took it out and tried to run the computer-- what happened was that again, the motherboard had power, but nothing happened. It just doesn't "turn on" even though it's "on", if that makes any sense.

Hmm... odd, is it over heating at all? Dusty? CPU fan need cleaning? Sure there is a semi-logical reason for it. D:
It's dusty, but not excessive to the point where it shouldn't just not boot. Fan doesn't need cleaning either, and the sides of the case aren't hot.

The only thing that seemed hot were the capacitors that connected the "Power on" cable to the "Power on" button. What confuses me is how my motherboard has power as hinted by the LED, but it can't seem to use that power to run.

No smoking, no smells, it doesn't even beep. You press the power on button and... nothing. I've swapped in three working power supplies too, and nothing.
Zerrif Wrote:It's dusty, but not excessive to the point where it shouldn't just not boot. Fan doesn't need cleaning either, and the sides of the case aren't hot.

The only thing that seemed hot were the capacitors that connected the "Power on" cable to the "Power on" button. What confuses me is how my motherboard has power as hinted by the LED, but it can't seem to use that power to run.

No smoking, no smells, it doesn't even beep. You press the power on button and... nothing. I've swapped in three working power supplies too, and nothing.

I think there is an internal battery in the mother board that also powers the bios chip, so that doesn't necessarily mean the power supply is working properly. Helps to have scrap parts to exchange for testing but I doubt you have that...hmm...

Also the part you should check for over heating also is the power supply, mainly the back of the computer, is it pumping out excessive heat or is the back plate getting very hot? How did you last turn it off before it stopped working?
I know about the internal power supply, but this LED is strictly for power coming from the plug into the power supply (there's a separate one on my motherboard for the bios). Besides, I subbed in 3 other working power supplies (Like... stole them from my friends' computers to test) so I doubt the problem is with the power supply itself.

Funny thing is I didn't turn it off myself. I powered it on fine, and it was running all fine and dandy. I go to plug in my Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector (Because I'm a chump and that's how I play my DS / Wii online), and it just shuts off before I even get it in the port (All dirty jokes aside). After that, it never turned on again.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's