heRO-Server Forum

Full Version: Dungeons and Dragons, or something of the like.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not really much to say here besides I would love to play a crazy dice-rolling RPG and I can't seem to get a group going where I live.

Given that all the books for any game really are online somewhere, who would be interesting in playing on a play-by-post, or IM, or something format?

Note: Complete noob to this so I would definitely not be able to run the game. XD I fail just that hard with my noobness to this.
Sounds interesting, but I lack the dice, and I've hated the fact that it's completely based on luck wether or not your attacks/actions do anything, and How evil/imaginitive your game master is in creating dungeons and monsters for you to run into every 3 steps.

I suppose it'd be wise of me to try it one of these days so I won't be able to shoot my mouth off without having experienced it.
Well, there are plenty of places that do have dice rollers for you to use. o-o And before we could even try to find that we would still need to find someone to DM/GM/ST it.

And honestly, a lot of things are based on luck, but as you get higher in level the attributes you get better in make it so that luck doesn't create a large factor, unless you keep getting a 1.
What I don't mind about the dice is to see your character roll a 1 on something such as a diplomatic check. You then have to play your character messing up which can be very amusing for someone who made a potentially overpowered character.

So 1's are something to embrace, you sometimes come out of them anyway A-OK.

Anyway, as for being a DM, I ain't got experience in that but if you guys did a DnD thing I guess I'd be open to it depending on how it gets set up and the rules about dice rolls as it would be important that people be honest about those.
I play D&D at my local hobby shop on Sunday's (unless they're having another event at the time) at 8pm.

I started playing about three or four months ago, and it's been crazy from the get-go. Three different campaigns (two currently on hold, the current one a WoTC-sanctioned campaign?) and I'm still learning just how much fun this game is.

Of course getting really crappy rolls the other night like I did sucked. xD

Some DMs are nice and try to hold back on the harder stuff until their group is used to the game (or newest campaign). Others can be scary right from the start. And I know that from experience. x__x xD

At this time, I myself probably wouldn't be that good of a DM. xD

But like I said, D&D is an awesome RPG experience. I'm enjoying the surprises that my friends and I encounter along the way. I can't wait to see what happens next (unless my PC dies, which would royally suck xD).

BTW, two of those three campaigns I play a half-elf Wizard. I'm a half-elf Ranger in the other.
I already DMed two games and have participated in more than 10. I usually played twice a week when I wasn't overworked, but lately both the games ended prematurely :S

Dunno why you think the dice roll is all about luck: so is wheter you hit or not a monster in RO, it's just less frustrating because you dont feel responsible for it in almost any way Icon_razz

But yeah, I get the idea and I think It could be interesting really. Now the only thing is: what system? DnD is one, then you'd have to choose between edition 3.5 or 4th or any of the hundreds of systems out there. Hell! There even is a World of Warcraft Roleplaying Game(DnD style)! Oh! the sweet irony!

But yeah, the idea's good. Maybe I'd like to DM, but really how the hell would you do the battles? It already takes hours when everybody's in a room with all the pieces and the battlemap, post by post would be so overkill O.o;;

Az
I'd really enjoy joining some PbP game, been in a few over at GitP, but not lately.

Battles in PbP depend entirely on the group.??If everyone posted once a day they can be done reasonably.??However, if the group starts to lose interest, the battles can take weeks.??If one were to do a PbP, you'd want either a larger group so those who lose interest can faze out, or a much smaller group, say 3-4, that all are interested and willing to put in the effort.

For dice rollers, there are plenty online that keep track of every roll.??Invisible Castle goes by name, so if one were to put in Azulizkool (use it and die Azul), then you'd know every roll would be from that one person since its a damned silly name.??No fibbing and rolling 10 times until that 15+ pops.
Wow, so many people seem interested in this.

How about we see who is definitely interested then decide on the system from there? That way we know who is interested in playing and most systems of play are available online anyway so it wouldn't be too hard to hunt it down and learn enough to get by.

And Krumb, you know I have to use it now. o3o
B> share-able online RNG app + chatroom Laugh

-w-
Quote:B> share-able online RNG app + chatroom
At your disposal.

I've heard that OpenRPG is a useful tool for this. I've just installed it to make sure there is no virus/exploit out there (it is virus-free) and, imo, it looks nice.

Features:
http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?c=orpg&m=features

- has a board
- has an integrated dice roller
- should have several 'RPG systems' included internally

Download:
http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?c=orpg&m=getorpg

This program is 100% legal, GPLv2 license, so you can use it even on your work computer :P.

Installation (will instruct for WinXP, as I don't have Vista/Win7):

- download the file OpenRPG1.8.0.exe
- allow it to download Python 2.1.2 (this is a programming language, doubles as a great calculator)
- allow it to download a specific library for the Python
- install everything
- when OpenUpdater window appears, allow it to update
- run
- it might seem that between the splashscreen disappearing and board appearing the program has quit; it didn't. I had to wait ~20 seconds and I have a decent computer (in my opinion).

Tutorial:
http://openrpg.wrathof.com/faq1/OpenRPG_User_Guide

---
I haven't really played with it yet, but I heard it is quite a good tool. Looks interesting enough, for the first glance, and it might really help you out if someone takes the time to read a tutorial / readme files. If you will have any specific questions, I can try to answer them, though bear in mind I am new to this program too.

---
What have I tested:

- dice rolling works (unless you mess up with the diceroller, like I inputted '/diceroller 1d6' into chat. Don't. Recovery: '/diceroller std')
- adding miniatures works
- changing orientation of the miniatures works

---

Combination of the program above + Skype/Ventrilo/Gizmo/whatever you wish might be the best option for you.

---

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with this program whatsoever ;-)
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's