heRO-Server Forum

Full Version: My Research paper
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, my name is Josh, i am new here and i am looking for a quick interview with Admins and players who have played Multiple MMO's. im currently submitting this topic to my teacher to advance my college education to get a BA of computer science and to become a Cisco certified network professional. every one is free to answer i will only use the admins, or the users who have played the most. I appreciate all help. feel free to ask me questions estimate or refrain. if you email your answers to me joshHorton916@gmail.com i will keep all information confidential.

Questiosn:

Personal:
Who are you?
what makes you a reliable resource?
How long have you been playing games? Technical knowledge?

Admin
1)recently what was the highest count of online members your server(s) received?
2)Recently what is the total number of accounts registered?
3)What is your yearly income before running/upkeep cost?
4)what is your yearly profit after running/upkeep costs?
5)is there a currency exchange between your server and other currency?
6)if yes In your opinion what factors makes your currency worth more when converted to USD?

All:
my research paper is on the virtual economy, how the rise of video games have spawned the virtual economy. how Ragnarok banks do currency exchange giving some Ragnarok server's a economy as real as any country on earth. please comment.

Feel free to ask me questions, i will respond and watch this thread.

Thank you
Just a suggestion. I know you're not an English major by any stretch of the imagination, but if you really are shooting for a degree, it would help to proof your posts before hitting the submit button.
If nothing else it makes you look more like a real person and less like some form of spam bot.

Also, what school are you currently attending and who is your supervising professor?
wow just got a Q&A reversal.. who am i ... well im the most infamous person in this forum. how many years have i been playing game 16 years.as far as technical knowledge of game mechanics i have a low amount of that. now its my turn josh. why are you here in HeRO forum? what makes you think we want to help you get your BA? isn't WoW a better game to troll for info? and lastly why do you think anyone cares about virtual economy?
To be honest I'm kind of interested in virtual economies and the way they function.??It would be interesting to see if, in a few years, there was some kind of decision or holding that the player actually had some form of property right to the virtual items they obtained, based on the fact that they have some kind of real world value.??I understand all the problems and impossibilities in that and don't want to derail Josh's thread (hmm, maybe a new thread later!).

I recall hearing something about some person in an Asian country (I think?) years ago being brought up on charges for virtual theft? Something of that nature...

I'm pretty certain it'll never happen, and current TOS and licensing agreements all but bar such activities, but it's an interesting idea to play around with.

-spelling fail edit-
Ellisandra:
virtual thief doesn't technically exist, however impersonation and identity theft does. though careful logging it "can" be easy reversed.

no offense to you although it will come across rude, but you are not grading me. unfortunately i feel no obligation to do any major proofing. feel free to expand on this any debate or collaboration will be appreciated.

Kari Nogashi:
Official servers have ignored my inquires for a interview which have been proofed and extremely formal. you are not the only forum being posed this question there are 3 Private ro servers 3 private wow servers and 2 posed directly to admins of both. i hope admins will reply, being the most knowledgeable about the financial. you don't have to participate if u don't want 2

my going theory and research idea:
a crash of a popular game server can crash the economy, most likely minor.
I understand you have no obligation to proof.??It just makes you look lazy and when you're trying to present yourself as a budding academic it helps your case to make your post punctuated and capitalized and all that fun stuff!??Not trying to be a jerk or anything, though I don't think it can come across as anything but! Though perhaps not-proofing and having it written like that gets more responses from people that don't give two shakes about it? /outoftouch.

Oh and you're right about the virtual theft, the guy reported it and was turned away by the police and then went and killed the person that stole it (as the thief had RMT'd the sword away).
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200...334618.htm

That sounds like a pretty interesting topic!??Any chance this paper is going to be published anywhere, or is this just going to be general undergraduate fare (since you said it was just in pursuit of your BA)???Are you thinking situations where there is a large illicit RMT organization going on in a major MMO and what happens if those RMTers can no longer sell their virtual goods???Or is it more looking at a game that promotes its own RMT???Best of luck in your pursuit!??

Since I'm just a general player with no technical knowledge ~at all~ I don't think I can contribute any useful info to you, but I have been playing MMOs and MUDs for roughly 18 years or so.??Started on Neverwinter Nights when it was an AOL game, then went to EQ, Darkness Falls, Planetside (best MMOFPS ever, so sad it failed after the stupid BFRs), FFXI, Guild Wars, RO, WoW, played some Earth Eternal...I think that's my list.
the argument can also be made that game servers are private countries there own economy and police.

there is a chance i will pursue MA or perhaps PHD but one step at a time. as for any publication is unlikely. since most accountants and economist that i have talked to have shunned me.

players with no technical or first had experience will be briefly mentioned and your opinion given.

the main person who i hope to get a reply from is a admin. as of this moment i have one source. i would like at least 1 more, otherwise i might be forced to abandoned my topic. ive seen eathena code. i wouldn't mind trading a script or something in exchange. i think i can prevent 99% of botting if it hasnt already been done.
I have read many questions about their research paper topic. But as I can see they are separated with a site. Their questions are in other site. Maybe you can make that also.
Reference URL's