heRO-Server Forum

Full Version: Lightmaps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Do you have lightmaps on or off when you play? Yes, no, maybe so? WHY!?

"What are lightmaps?"
./Lightmap toggles map shadows on and off. If you see shadows on a tree, or a house, etc. then you have lightmaps on.
Yes I like it on. Makes it easier to see where the cliffs and walls are especially in places where the tiles all look the same like toy factory or juperos core level 2. Otherwise it all just looks like one flat area if you dont have the correct camera angle.
If I can have it on, I will cause all the maps look nicer. However, my graphic card produces the black squares of death but turning off lightmap makes them go away so :x
I like the extra details with Lightmap ON; i did periods in the past with that off, like, years ago when i was farming gtb: its easier to spot over the more uniform background color xD
I think that's mostly reference to the torch lightmap that's spammed on all the initial maps in RO, like culvert, pyramid, sphinx, GH, etc. Thankfully that super annoying yellow-red circle goes away on any map from gravity in odin and on. Likewise, none of heRO's custom map uses that technique either.
I turn them off, they are a huge distraction to me and having the shadows on in this game has gotten me killed many times cause I can't see my character very clearly.
Only time I ever used it was when my graphics were bugging out and making the map nothing but pure white. I do however like it when I'm farming stuff in skellington. Makes Niflheim look a little creepier.
ON! Used to turn it off sometimes if the map messed up, but I haven't had that issue in a long time.
You've got me experimenting with this feature more, Lutia feels colder with /lightmap
They're one of the few custom maps with fog too... ;o I don't use fog though so not sure how "good" it can look to other people with it on.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's