heRO-Server Forum

Full Version: Latest info on the downtime
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey heroes,

I wanted to keep you up to date on what's currently happening with heRO.

Yesterday there were reports of intense lag in game. I decided on doing a maintenance since I had a free afternoon. The computer that the server is on was overdue for a reboot, so I decided to do that as well. After a routine backup I turned the server off and restarted the computer. That's when all hell broke loose.

For reasons unknown the booting is now giving an error screen and the computer cannot be started.

That above is the non-technical description, skip to the next paragraph if you're uninterested in further detail. The server runs on linux ubuntu. It is located in a data center (aka I have no physical access to it). The server is unable to boot up properly. I've spend hours googling, reading forums, watching videos and whatnot. GM-Ayu, GM-Aki and GM-Garr have all tried to help, sadly to no avail.

Our hosting company (for the server itself, not the website) is called iWeb. I've been less than impressed about their response and assistance (or lack thereof). I'm discussing with the other GMs about alternate hosting solutions.

All your information (logins, characters, etc.) and server stuff (npcs, databases, etc.) are backed up, rest assured there is no loss there.

We'll keep you posted as soon as we have news.

Thanks for your patience and sorry for this major downtime.

Sorry

Mar 10: Mini update: still working on server as panda is trying to get it to work on GMs first but let's say there's signs of life. Once it works for GMs then we will load our char saves for everyone.

Regardless of our progress or when the server is up, Saturday woe will be cancelled as no guilds had any time to prepare or stock up, and we may not be able to guarantee quality of up time even when it will be up.
We appreciate the update, thank you for your hard work!
I hope for all the best for all of the GM team and HeRO :3
Thank you both! Love
Mini update: still working on server as panda is trying to get it to work on GMs first but let's say there's signs of life. Once it works for GMs then we will load our char saves for everyone.

Regardless of our progress or when the server is up, Saturday woe will be cancelled as no guilds had any time to prepare or stock up, and we may not be able to guarantee quality of up time even when it will be up.
Progress update: We're fixing issues still since our environment has changed, but at least GM Pandora is done loading backups

[Image: unknown.png?width=1162&height=676]
As you might gather from the screenshot above, the setup is almost complete, the database, npc, etc. are all loaded and working.

There are still a few kinks to iron out, but the worse bugs are behind us.

I'm hopeful for a release tomorrow (friday) *crossing fingers*

Icon_smile

You guys will not need to do anything special, your current file setup will work. At worse it'll require to run the patcher.

I decided to leave our current hosting company since I was dissatisfied with them. heRO is temporarily moving to my home network. It will run on a decent computer and a super fast unlimited internet connection. Over a decade ago heRO was on my network, when it started to get laggy I moved the server to a private hosting. Since then both the hardware and the internet have vastly improved, while the emulator and client have remained basically the same. Long story short I think it will run smoothly. However, should that not prove to be the case I am ready to adapt, be it by purchasing computer parts (like memory) or moving to a (different) private hosting company.
Quick update: still working on a few (hopefully last) bugs. I made the map server purposefully unavailable from outside while I'm still working on the server. This means that while you may reach as far as the character screen it wont go further, no matter how many times you try.

Icon_wink

I anticipate a few more hours. I will give a more precise ETA once I'm close to being done.
I still have the control panel connection to fix and a few small things. I'm gonna take a lunch break and resume afterwards and it shouldn't be long.

ETA about 13:30 server time Ok
Server is live.

The Control Panel is still giving me issues, I will fix later.

In Prontera you will find Pandelina who has gifts to bestow our patient heroes, because we are so so sorry for all the downtime and inconvenience!!

Also the rates are up at 6x exp and 4x item for at least a month.

Love
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's