heRO-Server Forum

Full Version: Question About Damage Calculation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been reading through various sites about ragnarok and trying to figure out exactly how damage calculations work in this game.

So far I've got this as a rough summary:

Final Damage = ((Base Damage + Additive Damage Boosts) * Multiplicative Damage Bonuses)

My question is how does damage reduction work?

I know that the final damage chosen from the min-max damage range is reduced by Equipment Def by the percentage listed as the first number next to DEF. And then I know that a weird range somewhere surrounding 80-100% of your actual VIT score is subtracted from the final damage rating. I suppose my real question is this: where do reductions like Thara Card and Raydric Card and Energy Coat come in?

My next question is this: do Raydric / Thara / Energy Coat stack if a Demi-Human uses a neutral attack on you while you have full SP? If they do stack, how does it work? Raydric = 20%, Thara = 30% and Energy Coat = 30%. So would that give you 80% damage reduction 100 Base Damage ---> (100*(1-(.2)+(.3)+(.3)) = 20 Final Damage

Or would it give 39.2 Damage Reduction?

100 Base Damage ---> )(((100*(1-.2))*(1-.3))*(1-.3)) = 39.2 Final Damage

Last question, sorry, but do these reductions apply before or after Armor and Vit DEF? Thanks for any help you can give. Cheers!
Straight damage reductions like thara, raydric, et al, are applied multiplicatively after the def and vit. (That they're after is important because of the additive nature of vit defense.) However, like terms are collected. Your example of thara + ray + coat would be 100 * 0.7 (demihuman) * 0.8 (neutral property) * 0.7 (physical) = 39.2 If you were to add a poopoo hat, then that would apply to the "demihuman resistance" term, making it 100 * 0.6 * 0.8 * 0.7 = 33.2 damage.

I hope this makes sense.
It does! Thanks a lot! I forgot about the like terms thing. I remember it from damage cards now that I think about it. You also answered my other main question because coming after DEF is important to determining survivability increased by those cards. It makes sense that it works like that; I mean, how ridiculous would it be to get 33.2% damage and THEN reduce it by ArmorDEF and VIT DEF?

Thanks for the answer, though.
well, stacking all those things does get pretty rediculous. I was doing some rough damage calculations for my pally. I was looking at 63 def, 70 vit, and some other stuff.

20% dodge from fortune sword, because perfect flee is hard to reduce
30% dodge from guard
63% reduction from armor
60 flat reduction from vit
30% from thara
20% from raydric.
As incoming damage gets very large, the vit term becomes meaningless, so for most MVPs (what I'm concerned with) it's negligible, so all my stuff comes out to be almost 89% damage negation. In other words, I'd be taking 1/9 the damage that they're throwing at me. I think it's pretty nice.
Reference URL's