heRO-Server Forum

Full Version: VPN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
well i have searched and i haven't seen a thread about this, so i guess i'll make it.

it has come to my attention that some ppl often can't access the server because the port related to ragnarok is closed where they work/live/whatever (If i'm not mistaken the port is 6900)...

anyway, although i know it is not that easy to setup, and that it takes a bit of setting up etc, but maybe it would be good to set up a VPN (virtual private network) for heRO so that ppl can access it anywhere even if they have only one port open (usually for internet its 8080 if i'm not mistaken, but then again most admins can modify this i guess)...

just a friendly suggestion, hopefully it is doable and does not cause too much trouble...

sorry if i wasted your time...

-w-
Nice idea, personal experience has told me it is tricky to implement and is actually not garunteed because your network may block VPN traffic.
i know that it might, i was just offering a possibility as in several posts i have seen that some ppl wished they could play a bit more and check in when events are happening while they are at work.

there's no panacea, but a cough pill could just be good enough...

-w-
oh true enough.
Clarification though, when you say check in when events are happening, I take it you mean randomly when e.g. Event-Ayu is on and broadcasting for a random event idea like Werewolf rather than pre-planned ones?
well i guess pre planned ones... u can't always expect to participate in ALL those random events rite? xP

and i am referring to some posts on threads regarding events such as the fairy auction... (even though for the auction there is a loop hole namely the blind bidding)

-w-
ohhhh I getcha. I was thinking you meant ones that weren't already proposed on the forums.
The one time I've participated in an auction while at work, I had a buddy playing and putting bids in for me via MSN. Worked surprisingly well.
I like the suggestion, however I don't think I got time to handle setting this up, if someone wants to give it a try go ahead.

However, I think we are blocking proxy, for security reasons. I used to play from work during lunch time, via a proxy, but it's blocked now. So if it doesn't work that's probably why.
Oooo, i love this idea!! Lol, but i dont think i have the knowledge to make a VPN network. i mean,i dont want it if it will get my father in deep deep....doodoo. O.O; But maybe ti will work. I would LOVE to play with everyone. I miss playing RO, and it would be fun to have my High Priest again. *Huggles* But if its doable, i would be forever greatful.

Thanks everyone!Icon_biggrin

~Naisha~
wow, it seems a lot of people is interested. And i understand that GMs are busy and thus i know that if it is to be done, then someone needs to take the initiative and start developing the software. Sadly i am not a scripter and although i have read a little bit of this and a little bit of that, it's still all greek to me...

so maybe another member has the knowledge or knows someone else who can help us set it up?

-w-
Reference URL's