heRO-Server Forum

Full Version: Need some Firewall Suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
id prefer a good free one but pay ones that dont have yearly license fees are ok too. I used to use mcafee but it isnt very good. I used to use Nortons but the yearly reup kinda would PO me. I have used Zonelabs Zonealarm pro ever since but since i upgraded to a new HD and did a reinstall Zonealarm has a tendency to consume massive amounts of CPU power on bootup and keeps me from being able to connect to the net untill it gets finished which is unaccaptable. I surfed over to kim kommandos site for some suggestions unfortunatley she recommends zonealarm. What do you guys use and is it any good?
I use McAfee since few years and it works really well O.o
Btw, with my wizz, i can do instant cast fire wallz lvl 10!! :D
I've been using Comodo firewall for a few months and I'm happy with it. Pretty low memory usage and the CPU power it uses isn't noticeable on my current rig.
Well I'm not exactly sure how many good free firewalls are out there

for my laptop I use AVG free edition (Antivirus) and Spybot search and destroy (Anti Spy-ware) both of them don't cost a cent and I find them quite reliable.
AVG is good too.
Good router with a hardware firewall, and a bit of care as to what you download (i.e. if you're downloading completely legal software from a torrent site, be careful). The Linksys WRT54G is a perpetual fan-favourite, although my Zyxel router is pretty good these days.

It's kept every windows machine I've ever had virus-free since 2000, and I can count on one hand the number of months in that time I have had a functioning virus scanner.
some people think hardware firewall + software firewall is overkill. i love it. i also use linksys wrt54g. it's pretty good but my software firewall has saved my butt countless times.

sygate personal firewall. few years old. was bought out by norton. the older 5.x version is out there still. i learned one of our best guys at work also uses this. we've converted a few people to this already. what's great about it is it's sorta paranoid. and it'll tell warn u on outgoing connections as well. all programs that use the net, in and out, have full path information so you know which executable is being used. plus a ton of other security junk that we found great.
I personally think you can never have too much security, since it is my job in the Navy to ensure that the information I handle is as secure as can be, I use 3 software firewalls and 1 hardware firewall.
If you would like a corporate level antivirus and firewall check
http://projektdarkness.com/downloads/other/security/
PSI (Secunia)- Scans your pc for software that contains known exploits.
Symantec = Corporation that makes Norton, but on a higher level such as military. :3 *note* the firewall and antivirus are not the latest editions of symantec corporate edition*
There is atleast 10th edition.
Then they moved onto End Point 11.0 which I am trying to get right now. :3
The symantec programs I supplied are no longer sold however they are still supported. Secunia is a freeware google it for it's website to get the latest version if you want it.
yeah i forgot about Secunia, ive used it before. I went ahead and got the other two as well and will give em a shot maybe. A lil leary of symantec products not that theyre not good. I've seemed to work out my issues atm but ill check em out later and see what theyre about.
watch what u say about my company anak! =)
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's