Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Please add "Do not Necro" to the rules
Snowhawk Offline
Failsassin

Please add "Do not Necro" to the rules

Its really annoying. There is no rule against Necroing old posts. Yet people are getting yelled at and talked down to for reviving old threads.

If its against the rules then it should be in the rules section. Otherwise there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. So if you don't want Necroing of posts put that it isn't allowed in the rules.

Jaque::Sinx
Jaque-kun::Alchemist
Disciple Jaque::Acolyte
~Snow~::Wizard
08-17-2011 09:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
iSpam Offline
so i herd u liek mudkipz

RE: Please add "Do not Necro" to the rules

iirc it is there? maybe implied forum etiquette if not imo

There are four brothers in this world that were all born together:
The first he runs and never wearies,
The second eats and is never full.
The third he drinks and is ever thirsty,
And the fourth sings a song that is never good.
[Image: sn1bw7.gif]
08-17-2011 09:34 AM
SkyStormKuja Offline
The Great Muffin

In the general, necroing posts is silly, as many of the people that was in the original conversation has long past the point where they would want to rediscuss things.

I think its part of general foruming, and shouldn't have to be a rule to apply.

[Image: f44qqu.png]
~Anima~ 7x/3x - Champion
Nathaniel Hawkins 9x/6x - Stalker
Sora Sacrificulous 9x/6x - High Priest
SniperAngel 9x/6x - Sniper
08-17-2011 12:14 PM
Snowhawk Offline
Failsassin

@iSpam Implied isn't a rule and has no consequence then. People wouldn't get yelled at by staff to not necro.

@Kuja See above. If it shouldn't apply then people shouldn't be reprimanded for it or receive warnings about it.

One or two -I- have necroed was to update some incomplete info that was in the thread. The threads at the time were like 3 weeks old. Now it seems its more like people expressing like of a topic that could be implemented but discussion just stopped. Not that they were discussed to the point that the thread died. just the discussion just ceased and it was left to be mulled over by others.

Now if that's the case then the GMs should set an archiving date and do a periodic archive. I know there are some JUST for the forums. There should also be an option that says archive posts that haven't been responded to in (set date here). If not then its not that hard to open a forum and select all of them that aren't dated this month.

Jaque::Sinx
Jaque-kun::Alchemist
Disciple Jaque::Acolyte
~Snow~::Wizard
08-17-2011 03:41 PM
Former-GM-Circe Offline
Thank you, all. <3

People don't get "yelled at" for doing it. They get asked not to. If they keep it up with posts that are not constructive, I lock the thread.
I may flounce a bit when I do it, but that's as far as it goes.

We don't even have a large necroing problem, thankfully. It's generally a few people, a few times in a few threads every now and then. Perhaps I was just too nice in only asking people not to do it, but every time they tend to just start trying to bait us on purpose. From now on, if it's necro'd, I'll just lock it on the spot. :D

As we went over last time, an area for archives is just not the best. It makes finding things harder for people who are looking just to read, in both terms of browsing and using the search function, particularity if you're looking for a very specific thing.
The very large majority of GMs do not have back end access. They can't just "select them all for this month" and move them. They would be required to move or lock threads manually, thread by thread.

I'm sure most of you learned "look with your eyes and not with your hands" as kids. It just seems that a few of you still have sticky fingers.

Gone! Thanks for the memories.
<333

08-21-2011 09:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Spuznik Offline
Salamander

I think there are some topics that should get necro'd sometimes. I haven't run into it here on HeRO, but on eAthena there are hundreds of "Help me" threads that go unanswered and when you've got a problem and all you can find are 3 year old threads without answers. You kind of wish someone had gone back and given an answer if not just for the sake of people with the same problem in the future, I don't Necro, but after I find the solution myself from testing different things out, I kind of want to go and post my findings (but knowing the friendly attitude of many of the people who frequent eAthena I resist.)

At the same time unintentional Necros are fairly hard here compared to RMS which has a list of related topics under each topic. Which wouldn't be so bad if the topics weren't all a year old.

Also what's the definition of a Necro if it's just old threads then no one could ever post in some of the hidden sections, and if it's a post that's a few pages back, on a busy day, it could take less then a day for things to move back a page or two and some people only check the forums weekly or monthly.

Anyways, inb4 someone posts on this thread as a joke 6+ months from now

You can probably find me in game if I'm on by using @who spuz.

Other then that message me here or something, not sure how often I will check it.
08-26-2011 09:43 PM