Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ideal Server Population
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

Ideal Server Population

How big do you think an "ideal" server is for you?
and please elaborate...

to me, as a player, i think 150ish at any one time (real players, don't care about AT merchs) is max... So that's about 200-300 total players in a server (i don't think 150 ppl play 24/7)...
200-ish at WOE (those who do will make time for WOE even if it's not at the best times for their timezone) should make for about 10 decent guilds or 5 real big ones. Of course the number of castles come into the calculation, but anymore than that amount would overcrowd the castles as i think each castle should be (at any one time) under siege from 2 guilds meaning that there are 20 defenders and 40 attackers (from 2 guilds)...
200 should also make partying a viable option without really running out of spawn points in crowded maps.
and 200 would amount to about 200 ATing merch (with the average of 1 ATing merch per person -> some have 4 some have none) and with enough parties and mvp runs this amounts to a good enough econ where you can find what you want at a competitive price...

why not more?
well first of all theres LAG.
then there's basic statistics such as: say 1% of ppl are annoying/etc (this is a VERY low number), 1% of 150 is much much lower than 1% of 300 because it seems annoying/etc people stack logarithmically... xP

-w-
02-23-2009 12:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Braun Offline
PvP

RE: Ideal Server Population

I would like it where there were so much people you couldn't know everybody. Evil

PvP is more fun that way. Because nobody likes to kill their friends. Evil

Braun - Lord Knight
Bofo Bautista - Sniper
Carlos Salcido - Crusader
02-23-2009 12:44 AM
Jasper Offline
Don't do drugs kids :O

Yeah, I like the population to be in the 800-1000s where you sign on everyday and you see a new face (faces a lot). I believe it cuts a lot on the drama since no one is really close to each other and a lot of people are just doing their own thing.

[Image: 223968_1188249704copy.jpg]
Tripp - 99/70 High Wizard
Acid Tripp - 96/6x Creator
J Vigil 9x/6x? Lord Knight
My siggy Icon_sad
02-23-2009 12:47 AM
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

wut tripp said

not crowded, but enough so that you can meet new people everywhere you go and you are basically never alone no matter what map you are on.

and mvp competition.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2009 01:10 AM by teOx.)
02-23-2009 12:50 AM
Davey~ Offline

I quite like smaller servers really.

Just out of interest, if you guys like bigger servers, howcome you play heRO?
No offence intended. Just curious

[Image: 25b636je6.gif]
[Image: d59593.gif]
02-23-2009 01:03 AM
teOx Offline
cry IMBA pls

hero is my first server.

its also cooler when you can open all the castles.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2009 01:11 AM by teOx.)
02-23-2009 01:10 AM
Frogboy Offline
Posting Freak

over 9000!!!!! ok no really, i'd rather see a much bigger population than now. to me it's just too boring not running in to new people on maps that you'd figure people would actually be at. also it helps spawn control a lot, maps are not overcrowded with monsters to the point that they'll kill you in two seconds flat (example, my hunter in CT B3 killing penomenas and cramps). Granted there'd be less monsters for yourself to kill, however spawn rates handle that well enough to where you'd still have a decent amount of monsters for yourself.

i remember on my previous server when soils were the absolute hotspot for leveling, there'd easily be anywhere from 20~50 people on that map at any given time, yet there was enough soils to go around still that leveling was pretty easy (except for those people that took ages to kill soils, silly nubs).

anyway, with more players comes an increase in rarer goods as well, as now more people have access to those items since more people are looking and farming for them, especially MvP cards which are highly sought after (GTB especially). and for those that enjoy PvP/WoE/ToH this will really make those events much more epic, well maybe not PvP much more epic, but at least there'd be plenty of willing PvP'ers at all times of the day and main would no longer be cluttered with PvP requests. Icon_wink but i can see the ToH mass battle, and WoE being far more epic than they currently are, and with the lower rates, the gear is not nearly as easy to come by, meaning dedication to gear farming and knowing how to play the class will most likely determine who comes out victorious in those situations rather than everyone having equal opportunity to gather the same crap as everyone else and not knowing how to play the class they've chosen.

although i don't particularly care for WoE or what not, i still don't see it as bad, as then i'd be able to see new faces all the time, and at least have the ability to chat with someone nearby on the map i'm leveling on rather than on main, not that main is boring or anything, but being able to watch the person progress while you are gives a certain sense of satisfaction as well.

dunno, but that's just me.
02-23-2009 01:10 AM
Braun Offline
PvP

RE:??Ideal Server Population

Davey~ Wrote:I quite like smaller servers really.

Just out of interest, if you guys like bigger servers, howcome you play heRO?
No offence intended. Just curious
HeRO doesn't have exclusive donation items that make players who donate more powerful than everyone else like most servers I have seen.

Braun - Lord Knight
Bofo Bautista - Sniper
Carlos Salcido - Crusader
02-23-2009 01:29 AM
The Legendary Joe Offline
Raging Alt-a-holic

I dunno, enough people out there to hunt the stuff I want to buy, but few enough so I can hunt the things I want to hunt. Some Competition is good, but when there's 243521 people competing against you, crap, that's just a little discouraging for me.
02-23-2009 01:31 AM
PopPop Offline

I personally like smaller populated servers, HeRO seems just about right, maybe a little more but its ok. I kinda hate super populated servers, makes the server seem cold and unfriendly.

IGN: Pop Pop | Creator | 94/xx | Death Dealer (for life)
IGN: Trichromatic | Professor | 85/5x | STD

rdj
[Image: AndysRobertDownyJrSignature1.png]
02-23-2009 01:34 AM